Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following sections of the BOCA Basic Mechanical Code, as adopted in Section 1444.02, are hereby added or revised as follows:
BOCA M-100.3 and elsewhere throughout the BOCA Basic Mechanical Code Book where (name of the jurisdiction) occurs:
Insert City of Sharon.
BOCA SECTION M-114.0 FEES. Add M-114.2 providing for permit fees as follows:
BOCA M-114.2 Permit Fees: The following fees shall be paid at the office of the Code Enforcement Officer for all installations governed by this Code:
For a gravity furnace replacement
For a gravity furnace in new or old building
For forced air furnace in new or old building
For forced air furnace replacement
For hot water boiler in new or old building
For hot water boiler replacement
For steam boiler in new or old building
For steam boiler replacement
For each outlet connected to any existing warm air furnace or boiler, such as register, warm air pipes or return air pipe radiator or outlet per individual room, or an additional outlet. For installation (each)
Electric air cleaner
Central cooling system (over one ton)
For addition of blower or fan
For installation of conversion gas or oil burner or solar furnace
For installation of domestic-type incinerator
For installation of commercial-type incinerator
For installation of a direct fuel unit heater, wall heater, space heater or ceiling suspended unit (each)
For installation of snow melting system, drive or sidewalk
For installation of electric baseboard, wall heater, space heater, strip heater (each outlet)
For hot water supply heater
For reinspection or special inspection of any installation governed by the Heating and Air Conditioning Code, a fee of five dollars ($5.00) shall be paid by the certificate holder.
BOCA SECTION M-121.0 REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS (Added)
BOCA M-121.1 Master Heating Certificate: No person, firm or corporation shall install, erect, alter, repair, service, reset or replace any warm air or air conditioner, steam, hot water or electric heating system, or appurtenance thereto, unless such person or some member or employee of the firm or corporation has first obtained a Master Heating Certificate of Registration.
BOCA M-121.2 Certificate Restrictions: No person shall construct or install heating, electric, hot water, steam or air conditioning equipment, or alter or repair any existing heating equipment or appurtenances in any building or structure such as are subject to the BOCA Basic Mechanical Code, until such person has obtained a journeyman's or an apprentice's heating certificate, under the direct supervision of a Master Heating Certificate holder.
BOCA M-121.3 Issuing Certificates: The Code Enforcement Officer shall issue renewal certificates once each year, upon payment of a fee and upon the return of the old certificate. New certificates may be issued upon presentation of adequate data to show schooling, on-the-job training and/or other experience in the field to satisfy the Code Enforcement Officer as to the capabilities of the individual. Where necessary, the Building Code Appeals Board may be requested to prepare and conduct an examination on the subject to test an applicant's knowledge.
BOCA M-121.4 Steam Fitting Certificate: No person, firm .or corporation shall erect, alter, repair, service, reset or replace any hot water or steam boiler or parts unless such person, or some member of such firm or corporation, has first obtained a steam fitter's certificate of registration.
BOCA M-121.5 Certificate Limitations:
1. The Certificate of Registration shall be issued only to an individual and not to a corporation or firm.
2. A certificate holder may not apply for permits for any person, firm or corporation other than that person, firm or corporation for which he is presently employed on a full-time basis.
3. Should the certificate holder for a corporation or firm doing permitted work terminate his employment or partnership with such firm or corporation, such corporation or firm may not continue the permitted work more than ten days thereafter unless the services of another certificate holder are obtained.
BOCA M-121.6 License Fees:
1. Any person desiring to be registered as a heating certificate holder shall make written application to the Code Enforcement Officer stating his qualifications. Such application shall be accompanied by a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for a Master Heating Certificate, five dollars ($5.00) for a Journeyman Heating Certificate and one dollar ($1.00) for an Apprentice Heating Certificate.
2. All certificates of registration shall expire on December 31 of the year issued, but may be renewed upon payment of fifteen dollars ($15.00) for a Master Heating Certificate, three dollars ($3.00) for a Journeyman Heating Certificate and one dollar ($1.00) for an Apprentice Heating Certificate, if renewed before December 31 of the year issued.
3. Expired heating certificates may be renewed at any time after December 31 of the year issued upon payment of a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for a Master Heating Certificate, five dollars ($5.00) for a Journeyman Heating Certificate and one dollar ($1.00) for an Apprentice Heating Certificate.
BOCA M-121.7 Qualifications:
1. Warm Air Certificate. An applicant for a warm air heating certificate shall be at least twenty-one years of age and shall have had at least five years practical experience in warm air heating or shall have satisfactorily completed a course of study given by a recognized school, plus one year of practical experience in warm air heating.
2. Steam Fitter's Certificate. An applicant for a steam fitter's certificate shall be at least twenty-one years of age and shall have had at least five years practical experience in hot water and steam heating or shall have satisfactorily completed a course of study given by a recognized school, plus one year of practical experience in hot water and steam heating.
BOCA M-121.8 Revocation: Certificates of registration may be revoked for cause after public hearing as provided herein.
BOCA M-121.9 Bond: A person who has been issued a heating certificate of registration shall execute and deposit with the City a bond in the sum of one thousand dollars ($1, 000). The condition of such bond shall be that all heating work shall be performed in accordance with the provisions of this Code and that such person will pay all fines and penalties properly imposed upon him for violation of the provisions of this Code. A heating certificate of registration shall not be valid unless a bond is executed and deposited as herein provided.
(Ord. 19-76. Passed 4-28-76.)