Skip to code content (skip section selection)
As used in this Traffic Code:
(a) "Alley" means a street or highway intended to provide access to the rear or side of lots or buildings and not intended for the purpose of through traffic.
(b) "Bus" means a motor vehicle designed for carrying more than ten passengers, exclusive of the driver, and used for the transportation of persons, and a motor vehicle, other than a taxicab, designed and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
(c) "Crosswalk" means:
(1) That part of a roadway at an intersection included within the connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway, measured from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the traversable roadway; and, in the absence of a sidewalk on one side of the roadway, that part of a roadway included within the extension of the lateral lines of the existing sidewalk.
(2) Any portion of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface.
(d) "Department" means the Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth.
(e) "Divided highway" means a highway divided into two or more roadways and so constructed as to impede vehicular traffic between the roadways by providing an intervening space, physical barrier or clearly indicated dividing section.
(f) "Driver" means a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle.
(g) "Emergency vehicle" means a Fire Bureau vehicle, Police Bureau vehicle, ambulance, blood-delivery vehicle, Armed Forces emergency vehicle and one private vehicle of a fire or police chief or assistant chief used for answering emergency calls.
(h) "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. The term includes a roadway open to the use of the public for vehicular travel on grounds of a college or university or public or private school or public or historical park.
(i) "Intersection" means:
(1) The area embraced within the prolongation of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways of two highways which join one another at, or approximately at, right angles, or the area within which vehicles traveling upon different highways going at any other angle may come in conflict.
(2) Where a highway includes two roadways thirty feet or more apart, then every crossing of each roadway of the divided highway by an intersecting highway shall be regarded as a separate intersection. In the event the intersecting highway also includes two roadways thirty feet or more apart, then every crossing of two roadways of the highways shall be regarded as a separate intersection.
(j) "Laned roadway" means a roadway which is divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic.
(k) "Off-street parking system and sites" means all areas owned and/or leased by the City for the purpose of providing off-street public parking within its corporate limits.
(l) "Overtime parking" means the continuous parking of a vehicle for a period of time exceeding the maximum period established by law.
(m) "Park" or "parking":
(1) When permitted, means the temporary storing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, off the roadway.
(2) When prohibited, means the halting of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property or passengers.
(n) "Pedalcycle" means a vehicle propelled solely by human-powered pedals.
(o) "Pedestrian" means a natural person afoot.
(p) "Person" means every natural person, copartnership or association. Whenever used in any clause prescribing and imposing a penalty, the term "person," as applied to associations, means the partners or members thereof, and as applied to corporations, the officers thereof.
(q) "Police officer" means a natural person authorized by law to make arrests for violation of law.
(r) "Private road or driveway" means a way or place in private ownership and used for vehicular travel by the owner and those having express or implied permission from the owner, but not by other persons.
(s) "Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk, berm or shoulder, even though such sidewalk, berm or shoulder is used by pedalcycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways, the term "roadway" refers to each roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively.
(t) "Sidewalk" means that portion of a street between curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for use by pedestrians.
(u) "Stand" or "standing," when prohibited, means the halting of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers.
(v) "Stop" or "stopping":
(1) When required, means complete cessation of movement.
(2) When prohibited, means any halting, even momentarily, of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic control sign or signal.
(w) "Taxi" means a motor vehicle designed for carrying not more than eight passengers, exclusive of the driver, on a call and demand service, and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
(x) "Traffic-control signal" means a device, whether manually, electrically or mechanically operated, by which traffic is alternately directed to stop and permitted to proceed.
(y) "Vehicle" means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices used exclusively upon rails or tracks.
(Ord. 4-78. Passed 2-22-78.)