Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In the construction of the Codified Ordinances, the following rules shall control, excepting those inconsistent with the manifest intent of Council as disclosed in a particular provision, section or chapter:
(1) Adopting Ordinance. "Adopting Ordinance" means the ordinance of the City adopting the Codified Ordinances of Sharon, Pennsylvania, 1978, in conformity with the Third Class City Code of Pennsylvania and this Chapter 202.
(2) Authority. Whenever in the Codified Ordinances authority is given to an officer or an act is required to be performed, such authority may be exercised and such act may be performed, at the instance of such officer, by a deputy or subordinate, unless contrary to law or to the clear intent of any such particular provision.
(3) Calendar-Computation of Time. The terms "month" and "year" mean the calendar month or year. The time expressed in days within which an act is to be done or a period is to expire shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, except that if the last is a Sunday it shall be excluded. If time is expressed in hours, the whole of Sunday shall be excluded.
(4) City and Municipality. The words "City" and "Municipality" mean the City of Sharon, Pennsylvania.
(5) Conjunctions. "And" includes "or" and "or" includes "and", if the sense so requires.
(6) Council. The word "Council" means the Council of the City of Sharon, Pennsylvania.
(7) County. The word "County" means the County of Mercer, Pennsylvania.
(8) Gender. Words importing the masculine shall extend and be applied to the feminine and neuter genders.
(9) General Rule. Except as otherwise provided in this section, words and phrases shall be construed according to the common usage of the language, provided, however, that technical words and phrases and such others as may have acquired a special meaning in the law shall be construed according to such technical or special meaning.
(10) Home Rule Charter. The Charter adopted by the citizens of the City at the 2007 Municipal Election, effective beginning the first Monday of January, 2008.
(11) Joint Authority. Words giving authority to a board, commission or authority or to three or more officers or employees or other persons shall be construed as giving authority to a majority thereof, unless otherwise specifically provided.
(12) Keeper or Proprietor. The words "keeper" or "proprietor" mean and include persons, firms, associations, corporations, clubs and copartnerships, whether acting by themselves or as a servant, agent or employee.
(13) Land or Real Estate. The terms "land" or "real estate" include rights and easements of an incorporeal nature.
(14) Mayor. Whenever the word “Mayor” appears in this code, it shall be taken to mean “City Manager” effective the first Monday in January 2010, per Ord. 08-08.
(15) Number. Words in the plural include the singular number and words in the singular number include the plural number.
(16) Oath. The word "oath" includes an affirmation. When an oath is required or authorized by law, an affirmation in lieu thereof may be taken by a person having conscientious scruples about taking an oath. An affirmation shall have the same force and effect as an oath.
(17) Owner. The word "owner," when applied to property, includes a part owner, joint owner or tenant in common of the whole or any part of such property.
(18) Person. The word "person" extends and applies to associations, clubs, corporations, firms, partnerships and bodies politic, as well as to individuals.
(19) Premises. The word "premises," when used as applicable to property, extends to and includes land and buildings.
(20) Property. The word "property" includes real and personal property and any mixed and lesser estates or interests therein; the words "personal property" include every kind of property except real property, and the words "real property" include lands, tenements and hereditaments.
(21) Reasonable Time. In all cases where provision is made for an act to be done or notice to be given within a reasonable time, it shall be deemed to mean such time only as may be necessary for the prompt performance of such act or giving of such notice.
(22) Sidewalk. The word "sidewalk" means any portion of a street between the curb line and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians, excluding parkways.
(23) State or Commonwealth. The words "State" or "Commonwealth" mean the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
(24) Street. The word "street" shall be construed to include alleys, avenues, boulevards, lanes, roads, streets and other public ways in the City.
(25) Tenant or Occupant. The words "tenant" or "occupant," as applied to buildings or land, shall extend and be applied to any person holding a written or oral lease of, or who occupies the whole or any part of, a building or land, alone or with others.
(26) Tenses. The use of any verb in the present tense includes the future tense.
(27) Third Class City Code. "The Third Class City Code" means the Pennsylvania Act of June 28, 1951 (P. L. 662), as amended.
(28) Optional Third Class City Charter Law. The "Optional Third Class City Charter Law" means the Pennsylvania Act of July 15, 1957 (P. L. 901), as amended.
(29) Time. Whenever any time established in the Codified Ordinances for the taking of any action expires on a Sunday or legal holiday, such time shall not expire on such day but shall expire on the next week day.
(30) Shall and May. "Shall" is mandatory; "may" is directory or permissive. (Adopting Ordinance)
(Ord. 03-08. Passed 3-20-08.)