Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) This chapter is established in accordance with the needs of the city.
(B) The text, map, and tables contained herein are adopted for the following purposes:
(1) To protect and promote the public health, safety, and general welfare of the city;
(2) To guide and protect the future of the city in an orderly manner and in accordance with the growth and development goals of the Land Use Plan. The following is a narrative summary of goals:
(a) To enhance the environmental quality of life in the city;
(b) To promote the growth of tax ratables and expansion of employment;
(c) To provide an environment conducive for more commercial activity in the Central Business District;
(d) To accommodate growth in an orderly manner;
(e) To provide housing opportunities for people of all ages and incomes; and
(f) To preserve the city’s character and identity as a small residential city amidst a rural setting.
(3) To discourage sprawl development and conflicts between incompatible land uses;
(4) To protect and preserve the value of land throughout the city and the value of buildings appropriate to the various districts established by this chapter;
(5) To assure that the residential housing environment of the city is safe, healthful, and free of blighting appearances;
(6) To protect the natural environment from the pollution of air, streams, and ponds; and to encourage the wise development and sound management of all natural resources throughout the city; and
(7) To effectuate those purposes as specified in Public Act 110 of 2006, as amended, being M.C.L.A. § 125.3101 et seq.
(1993 Code, § 154.003) (Ord. 84-1, passed 1-3-1984)