Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Before moving any house or building into, or within, the city, a permit shall be obtained by the owner of the building to be moved from the city. The owner of said building will make application in writing upon a form furnished by the City Clerk which shall require the applicant to set forth the following documentation:
(1) The description and location of the current building;
(2) The location and legal description of the lot to which the building is to be moved and the period of time in which the building is to be moved;
(3) A plot plan showing the location of the building to be placed within the new location including setbacks;
(4) The plot plan shall provide for hard surface off-street parking for at least two vehicles and if the lot subdivision requires a garage for a residence, the location and size of the garage as well as any other requirements of this code for off-street parking and garages consistent with building a new residence or other new building on the same lot for that subdivision as is required for that zoning district;
(5) The application shall be accompanied by a photograph of the building to moved;
(6) The applicant shall file with the City Clerk an affidavit sworn to by the applicant stating that he or she has made a search of the records of the Office of the Register of Deeds of Colfax County, Nebraska, and that from said record, the applicant has found the names of the record title owners of real estate located within 300 feet of the proposed location upon which the building to be moved is to be located. The names and addresses of each record title owner shall be stated. In lieu of the applicant filing an affidavit stating that he or she has made a search of such records, a real estate title search signed by a registered abstracter indicating that he or she has made the search would be acceptable.
(B) Upon the filing of the application, and payment of the necessary fees, the Building Inspector will inspect the building to be moved and shall set forth in general terms what items need to be repaired or improved with respect to the building so that it will meet the provisions of the applicable city building codes. Based on his or her inspection of the building and the plot plan submitted, the Building Inspector shall make a recommendation to the City Council either granting or denying the permit.
(C) Upon receipt of the application, payment of all fees, and the recommendation of the Building Inspector, a public hearing shall be held before the City Council on the issue of granting or denying said application. Notice of said hearing shall be published one time in a newspaper of general circulation within the city, which publication shall take place at least ten days before the time scheduled for the hearing. In addition, at least seven days prior to said scheduled hearing, the City Clerk shall send notices to all property owners whose names and addresses have been furnished to the city as being owners of property located within 300 feet of the proposed location. In addition, at least ten days before the hearing, the City Clerk shall cause a notice to be posted by the applicant in a conspicuous place on the property to which the building is to be moved. Such notice shall be not less than 18 inches in height and 24 inches in width, with black letters of not less one and one-half inches in height on a yellow or white background. Such posted notice shall be so placed upon the premises that it is easily visible from the streets adjacent to the property. It shall be unlawful for anyone to remove, mutilate, destroy, or change such posted notice prior to the hearing.
(D) All costs connected with the search of the records of the Register of Deeds of Colfax County, Nebraska for names and addresses of record title owners shall be the responsibility of the applicant, and shall be in addition to other fees and expenses set forth herein.
(1972 Code, § 10-446.02) (Ord. 716A, passed 10-18-1983; Ord. 882, passed 7-15-1997; Ord. 2018-10, passed 7-3-2018)