Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Any person wishing to operate a nonhighway vehicle on the roadway within the corporate boundaries of the village of Scales Mound must comply with the following requirements:
1. No nonhighway vehicle may be operated on a village roadway unless, at a minimum, it has the following: a steering apparatus, brakes, tires, a rearview mirror, red reflectorized warning devices in the front and rear, a "slow moving" emblem as required of other vehicles in Illinois motor vehicle code 1 on the rear of the nonhighway vehicle, a headlamp that, under normal circumstances, emits a white visible light from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the front, a taillamp that, under normal circumstances, emits a red light visible from at least one hundred feet (100') from the rear, brake lights, and turn signals.
2. When operated on a village roadway, a nonhighway vehicle shall have its headlight and taillamps lighted as required by Illinois motor vehicle code 2 .
3. Nonhighway vehicles may only be operated on village roadways with the exception of authorized crossing of state roads, county roads, and township roads.
4. No nonhighway vehicles shall be operated on sidewalks, in parks or on other public property not accessible to or authorized to vehicular traffic.
5. No nonhighway vehicle may be operated on village roadways at a speed in excess of twenty (20) miles per hour.
6. Nonhighway vehicles may only be operated on village roadways from sunrise to sunset. They shall not be operated in inclement weather nor when visibility is impaired by weather, smoke, fog, or other conditions or anytime when there is insufficient light to clearly see persons and vehicles on the roadway at a distance of five hundred feet (500').
7. Any person who operates a nonhighway vehicle on a village roadway must have an official valid driver's license issued in his or her name.
8. Any person who operates or is in physical control of a nonhighway vehicle on a roadway while under the influence is subject to Illinois motor vehicle code 3 .
9. Any person who operates a nonhighway vehicle on a village roadway shall be required to comply with the "rules of the road" 4 .
10. Any person who operates a nonhighway vehicle on a village roadway shall be subject to the mandatory insurance requirements under the Illinois motor vehicle code 5 and must have in their possession the required proof of insurance for such nonhighway vehicle. (Ord. 2012-001, 3-26-2012)
1. 625 ILCS 5/12-709.
2. 625 ILCS 5/12-201.
1. 625 ILCS 5/11-500 – 5/11-502.
2. 625 ILCS 5/11.
3. 625 ILCS 5.