Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All rented premises occupied for human habitation shall conform to the following minimum standards.
(A) Area of floor space.
(1) A minimum of 150 square feet of floor space per adult shall be provided in each dwelling unit.
(2) A minimum of 50 square feet of floor space per child six years of age or older shall be provided in each dwelling unit.
(3) A minimum of 300 square feet of floor space shall be provided for each single-family dwelling unit.
(4) A minimum of 600 square feet of floor space shall be provided for each two-family dwelling unit.
(5) A minimum of 200 square feet of floor space per family shall be provided in multi-family dwelling units housing three or more families.
(6) In computing area only that area having a ceiling height of seven or more feet shall enter into the computation.
(B) Sanitary conditions and facilities.
(1) At least one flush-type toilet shall be provided for each single- and two-family dwelling unit.
(2) At least one flush-type toilet shall be provided for each eight adult persons in rooming houses and in multi-family dwelling structures housing three or more families.
(3) The necessary number of flush-type toilets may be provided in a separate building outside of, or separate from, the building containing the dwelling units if separate building is constructed and maintained in conformity with the health, plumbing and building ordinances of the city and if the building is provided with windows, ventilating shaft or mechanical ventilating equipment sufficient to ensure adequate ventilation thereof.
(4) Running water shall be provided for each dwelling unit and for each flush-type toilet.
(5) An outlet for sanitary sewage shall be provided for each dwelling unit in conformance with existing ordinances of the city.
(C) Windows and ventilation.
(1) Window or windows with a total glass area equal to at least 10% of the floor area of a habitable room shall be provided. The window or windows shall open onto a street, yard, alley, court or easement, or to the sky, and shall be so constructed so that at least one-half of the glass area may be fully opened and so that the sash or sashes can be opened or securely closed.
(2) Rooms or dwelling units not conforming to the standards set forth in division (B) above in this subchapter may in the alternative be provided with artificial ventilation facilities sufficient to insure adequate ventilation thereof. The artificial ventilation facilities must be approved by the Building Inspector.
(3) Inside bathrooms, not provided with windows, shall be provided with a ventilating shaft, or sufficient mechanical ventilating equipment to ensure adequate ventilation therein. Installations of ventilating equipment must be approved by the Building Inspector.
(D) Electrical facilities. Each dwelling unit to have electrical facilities consisting of one 20-ampere circuit for convenience outlets in kitchen and dining areas and at least one additional circuit for lighting. The electrical facilities shall be installed or made to conform with the standard provided in the electrical ordinance of the city.
(E) Heating. A vent or flue shall be provided so that all heating units using combustible materials may be vented in conformity with the standards provided in the fire and building ordinances of the city.
(1) At least one exterior door shall be provided for each single-family dwelling unit.
(2) Two exterior doors shall be provided for each two-family dwelling unit with floor space exceeding 500 square feet, for each two-family dwelling unit, and for each multi-family dwelling unit of one story housing three or more families.
(3) In addition to the requirements provided for herein, a direct exit shall be provided for each floor of each multi-family dwelling unit of three or more stories.
(4) The exterior doors or exits required in this subchapter may be provided in or from a public hall, but, in that event, each dwelling unit shall be provided with one exit door to the public hall or directly to the outside for every 500 square feet of floor space in the dwelling unit.
(1994 Code, § 15.16.030) (Ord. 93-109, passed - -1993)