Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Cottage food operations shall be permitted in all single or multi-family residential zones and specific plans that allow residential as a primary use, and shall be subject to the following conditions:
(A) No cottage food operation shall be allowed to operate without first securing all required permits and approvals from the Fresno County Department of Environmental Health Food Safety Division and the city. If such county permits and approvals lapse or are suspended or revoked by the county, the cottage food operator must cease operations.
(B) Not more than one full-time employee, paid or voluntary, not including an immediate family member or household member(s) of the cottage food operator, shall be employed by the cottage food operation.
(C) Hours of operation shall be limited to Monday through Sunday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
(D) Delivery and loading vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:
(1) Deliveries and loading shall be limited to Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. No deliveries or loading shall be permitted on Saturday or Sunday.
(2) Delivery and loading vehicles shall not impede vehicular or pedestrian traffic, block a driveway, or sidewalk, or sit idling at any time.
(3) Class B CFOs participating in indirect sales to third-party retailers should not use third-party delivery services to deliver food products to the retailer.
(E) Operation of the cottage food operation shall not occupy any required parking for the private home.
(F) Only the kitchen and one additional room inside the private home that have been registered or permitted with the Fresno County Department of Environmental Health Food Safety Division shall be used for the operation, including storage, of the business. The garage or accessory structures shall not be used for the cottage food operation, including storage.
(G) In no way shall the appearance of any structure or the conduct of the cottage food operation within the structure be such that any portion of the premises may be reasonably recognized as serving a nonresidential use.
(H) Signage shall be limited to one nameplate per unit displaying the name of the cottage food operation engaged in on the premises subject to the following conditions:
(1) Shall not exceed one square foot in area;
(2) Shall be non-illuminated;
(3) Shall be attached to the front façade of the residence or displayed inside a front façade facing window;
(4) Shall be maintained and be of reasonable professional quality.
(I) Cottage food operations shall not negatively impact surrounding properties by means of noise, odor, or any other characteristic deemed inappropriate for residential uses.
(J) Sales performed from the private home shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:
(1) No outdoor sales shall be permitted on the premises.
(2) Customer vehicles shall not impede vehicular or pedestrian traffic, block a driveway or sidewalk, or sit idling at any time.
(3) No on-site dining or loitering shall be permitted.
(Ord. 2016-101, passed 4-12-2016)