Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It is unlawful:
(1) For any person to operate a sexually oriented business without a valid sexually oriented business license issued by the City pursuant to this chapter.
(2) For any person who operates a sexually oriented business to employ a person to work for the sexually oriented business who is not licensed as a sexually oriented business employee by the City pursuant to this chapter.
(3) For any person to obtain employment with a sexually oriented business without having secured a sexually oriented business employee license pursuant to this chapter.
(b) An application for a license must be made on a form provided by the City.
(c) All applicants must be qualified according to the provisions of this chapter. The application may request and the applicant shall provide such information (including fingerprints) as to enable the City to determine whether the applicant meets the qualifications established in this chapter.
(d) If a person who wishes to operate a sexually oriented business is an individual, the person must sign the application for a license as applicant. If a person who wishes to operate a sexually oriented business is other than an individual, each individual who has a twenty percent (20%) or greater interest in the business must sign the application for a license as applicant. Each applicant must be qualified under the following Section and each applicant shall be considered a licensee if a license is granted.
(e) The completed application for a sexually oriented business license shall contain the following information and shall be accompanied by the following documents:
(1) If the applicant is:
A. An individual, the individual shall state his/her legal name and any aliases and submit proof that he/she is eighteen years of age;
B. A partnership, the partnership shall state its complete name, and the names of all partners, whether the partnership is general or limited, and a copy of the partnership agreement, if any;
C. A corporation, the corporation shall state its complete name, the date of its incorporation, evidence that the corporation is in good standing under the laws of its state of incorporation, the names and capacity of all officers, directors and principal stockholders, and the name of the registered corporate agent and the address of the registered office for service of process.
(2) If the applicant intends to operate the sexually oriented business under a name other than that of the applicant; he or she must state:
A. The sexually oriented business's fictitious name, and
B. Submit the required registration documents.
(3) Whether the applicant, or a person residing with the applicant, has been convicted of a specified criminal activity as defined in this chapter, and, if so, the specified criminal activity involved, the date, place, and jurisdiction of each.
(4) Whether the applicant, or a person residing with the applicant, has had a previous license under this chapter or other similar sexually oriented business ordinances from another city or county denied, suspended or revoked, including the name and location of the sexually oriented business for which the permit was denied, suspended or revoked, as well as the date of the denial, suspension or revocation, and whether the applicant or a person residing with the applicant has been a partner in a partnership or an officer, director or principal stockholder of a corporation that is licensed under this chapter whose license has previously been denied, suspended or revoked, including the name and location of the sexually oriented business for which the permit was denied, suspended or revoked as well as the date of denial, suspension or revocation.
(5) Whether the applicant or a person residing with the applicant holds any other licenses under this chapter or other similar sexually oriented business ordinance from another city or county and, if so, the names and locations of such other licensed businesses.
(6) The single classification of license for which the applicant is filing.
(7) The location of the proposed sexually oriented business, including a legal description of the property, street address, and telephone number(s), if any.
(8) The applicant's mailing address and residential address.
(9) A recent photograph of the applicant(s).
(10) The applicant's driver's license number, Social Security number, and/or his/her state or federally issued tax identification number.
(11) A sketch or diagram showing the configuration of the premises, including a statement of total floor space occupied by the business. The sketch or diagram need not be professionally prepared, but it must be drawn to a designated scale or drawn with marked dimensions of the interior of the premises to an accuracy of plus or minus six (6) inches.
(12) A current certificate and straight-line drawing prepared within thirty (30) days prior to application by a registered land surveyor depicting the property lines and the structures containing any existing sexually oriented business within 1000 feet of the property to be certified; the property lines of any established religious institution/synagogue, school, or public park or recreation area within 1000 feet of the property to be certified. For purposed of this section, a use shall be considered existing or established if it is in existence at the time of the application submitted.
(13) If an applicant wishes to operate a sexually oriented business, other than an adult motel, which shall exhibit on the premises, in a viewing room or booth of less than one hundred fifty (150) square feet of floor space, films, video cassettes, other video reproductions, or live entertainment which depicts specified sexual activities or specified anatomical areas, then the applicant shall comply with the following application requirements:
A. All requirements set forth in subsection (e)(11) hereof;
B. The City may waive the foregoing diagram for renewal applications if the applicant adopts a diagram that was previously submitted and certifies that the configuration of the premises has not been altered since it was prepared;
C. The application shall be sworn to be true and correct by the applicant.
(f) Before any applicant may be issued a sexually oriented business employee license, the applicant shall submit on a form to be provided by the City the following information:
(1) The applicant's name or any other name (including "stage" names) or aliases used by the individual;
(2) Age, date, and place of birth;
(3) Height, weight, hair and eye color;
(4) Present residence address and telephone number;
(5) Present business address and telephone number;
(6) Date, issuing state and number of driver's permit or other identification card information;
(7) Social Security number; and
(8) Proof that the individual is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
(g) Attached to the application form for a sexually oriented business employee license as provided above, shall be the following:
(1) A color photograph of the applicant clearly showing the applicant's face, and the applicant's fingerprints on a form provided by the Police Department. Any fees for the photographs and fingerprints shall be paid by the applicant.
(2) A statement detailing the license history of the applicant for the five (5) years immediately preceding the date of the filing of the application, including whether such applicant previously operated or is seeking to operate, in this or any other county, city, state, or country or has ever had a license, permit, or authorization to do business denied, revoked, or suspended, or had any professional or vocational license or permit denied, revoked, or suspended. In the event of any such denial, revocation, or suspension, state the name, the name of the issuing or denying jurisdiction, and describe in full the reason for the denial, revocation or suspension. A copy of any order of denial, revocation or suspension shall be attached to the application.
(3) A statement whether the applicant has been convicted of a specified criminal activity as defined in this chapter and, if so, the specified criminal activity involved, the date, place and jurisdiction of each.
(Ord. 00-165. Passed 4-24-00.)