Skip to code content (skip section selection)
This Section describes the procedures for initiating enforcement action in cases where the Director has determined that real property within the unincorporated area of the County is being used, maintained, or allowed to exist in violation of the provisions of this Development Code. It is the objective of these provisions to encourage the voluntary cooperation of responsible parties in the prompt correction of violations, so that the other enforcement measures provided by this Chapter may be avoided.
(a) Notice. Subject to Subdivision (c) of this Section upon investigation and a determination that a violation of any of the provisions of this Development Code or any condition(s) imposed on any approval, authorization, permit, or Variance is found to exist, the Director shall notify the record owner or any person having possession or control of the property by mail, of the existence of the violation(s), the Department’s intent to charge the property owner for all administrative costs associated with enforcement, and of the owner’s right to a hearing on any objections they may have. The notice shall be in a form approved by the County Counsel.
(b) Notice of Violation. The Director shall provide the record owner of the subject site and/or any person in possession or control of the site with a written Notice of Violation, which shall include the following information:
(1) A description of each violation, and citations of applicable Development Code provisions being violated;
(2) A time limit for correcting the violation(s) in compliance with Subdivision (c), below;
(c) Time Limit for Correction.
(1) The Notice of Violation shall state that the violation(s) shall be corrected within 30 days from the date of the notice to avoid further enforcement action by the County, unless the responsible party contacts the Code Enforcement Division within that time to arrange for a longer period for correction.
(2) The 30-day time limit may be extended by the Director upon a showing of good cause.
(3) The Director may also require through the Notice of Violation that the correction occur within less than 30 days if the Director determines that the violation(s) constitutes a hazard to public health or safety.
(d) Use of Other Enforcement Procedures. The enforcement procedures of § 86.09.080 (Enforcement), may be employed by the Director after or instead of the provisions of this Section where the Director determines that this Section would be ineffective in securing the correction of the violation(s) within a reasonable time.
(Ord. 4011, passed - -2007; Am. Ord. 4043, passed - -2008)