Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this Chapter is to establish guidelines for the siting of towers, antennas and related equipment.
(b) Acknowledgment of Federal Limitations on Local Regulations. The County recognizes that the Telecommunication Act of 1996 [47 U.S.C. § 332(c)(7)] states that local regulations shall not:
(1) Unreasonably discriminate among providers of functionally equivalent services;
(2) Prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting the provision of personal wireless services;
(3) Regulate the placement, construction, and modification of personal wireless service facilities on the basis of the environmental effects of radio frequency emissions to the extent that the facilities comply with the Commission’s regulations of emissions.
(c) Goals and Intent. Acknowledging these Federal provisions, the goals of this Chapter are to:
(1) Encourage the location of wireless telecommunication facilities, to the greatest extent possible, in areas where the adverse impact on the County is minimal.
(2) Encourage the design and configuration of wireless telecommunications facilities in a way that minimizes their adverse aesthetic, health, safety and economic impacts.
(3) Enhance the ability of the providers of telecommunications services to provide such services to the County quickly, effectively, and efficiently, with minimal impact to the aesthetic, health, safety and economic character of the County.
(4) Encourage the location of towers and other wireless facilities in non-residential areas.
(5) Encourage where appropriate the joint use of new and existing tower and antenna sites, including existing utility towers.
(6) Allow for different height limitations for wireless telecommunication towers in the Valley Region, Mountain Region, and the Desert Region due to the different aesthetic, health, safety, and economic impacts of the towers in the different regions of the County.
(Ord. 4011, passed - -2007)