Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Accessory Residential Use. The keeping of exotic animals shall be an accessory use to a single-family dwelling unit.
(b) Special Use Permit Requirements. The keeping of exotic animals shall require a Special Use Permit in compliance with Chapter 85.14 (Special Use Permits).
(1) Before giving notice to adjacent property owners, the review authority shall request that the County Veterinarian submit a statement regarding the particular animal’s mature behavior and personality characteristics. Notice given to adjacent property owners shall include a description of the type of animal and its behavior characteristics.
(2) Approval of a Special Use Permit for an exotic animal shall not be effective until the Code Enforcement Division receives written evidence that the applicant has applied for and obtained the following:
(A) Permit from the County Public Health Department.
(B) Permit from the State Department of Fish and Game.
(3) Each Special Use Permit shall specify the periodic renewal period and inspection requirements in compliance with Chapter 85.14 (Special Use Permits).
(c) Standards. In addition to conditions imposed by the review authority for the Special Use Permit, the keeping of exotic animals shall comply with the following standards.
(1) The keeping of an exotic animal shall comply with all County Code requirements, including setbacks from property lines and other dwellings as identified in § 84.04.090 (b) (Setbacks).
(2) The keeping of an exotic animal shall comply with all applicable Federal and State requirements.
(3) No more than two exotic animals over the age of six months shall be kept as an accessory use to a single dwelling unit, unless a Conditional Use Permit for a menagerie or zoo has been approved in compliance with Chapter 85.06 (Conditional Use Permit/Minor Use Permit).
(4) Each exotic animal shall have sufficient area to be maintained and exercised in a normal healthy manner as determined by the County Veterinarian.
(Ord. 4011, passed - -2007)