Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Determination of Eligibility. Each application shall be investigated by the SFMTA to determine the applicant's eligibility pursuant to the factors listed herein. The SFMTA, in determining whether the permit should be granted, may consider such facts as it deems pertinent, but shall at least consider the following factors:
(1) The applicant's compliance with all applicable statutes, ordinances and regulations. If, during the five years prior to application, an applicant has violated any statute, ordinance or regulation which would be a basis for revocation of the permit, the SFMTA may, in its discretion, refuse to issue the permit.
(2) The record of the applicant for the preceding five years with regard to any other permits issued for the commercial operation of a motor vehicle for the transport of passengers, either in the City or elsewhere.
(3) Any prior convictions of a crime that would, in the judgment of the SFMTA, present a risk to public safety if a permit is granted, including but not limited to convictions involving sexual assault, the use of a vehicle in the commission of a felony, fraud, violence against a person, reckless disregard for public safety, two or more recent convictions of drug-related offenses, or two or more recent convictions of driving under the influence, whether or not such convictions occurred while driving a Motor Vehicle for Hire. The SFMTA may, in its discretion, issue a permit notwithstanding prior convictions if, following review of an individual case, it determines that the applicant or Permit Holder does not pose a current risk to public safety.
(b) Burden of Proof on Applicant. A permit applicant shall have the burden of proving that the applicant meets all requirements for a permit.
(c) Eligibility for a Medallion. Applicants for a Taxi Medallion must:
(1) Complete the medallion Application form provided by SFMTA;
(2) Indicate on the application form whether applicant is applying as an individual, joint tenants, or a Business Entity; and
(3) If the applicant is a Business Entity, demonstrate that the Business Entity is registered and in good standing with the California Secretary of State.
(SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 09-23, 2/23/2009; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 09-077, 5/19/2009; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 09-183, 10/20/2009; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 10-029, 2/26/2010; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 10-149, 11/16/2010; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 11-155, Ad. 12/6/2011, Eff. 1/6/2012; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 12-079, Ad. 6/5/2012, Eff. 7/6/2012; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 14-005 , Ad. 1/7/2014, Eff. 2/7/2014; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 15-143, Ad. 1020/2015, Eff. 11/20/2015; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 170103-004 ,, Ad. 1/3/2017, Eff. 2/3/2017; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 181016-143, Ad. 10/16/2018, Eff. 11/16/2018)