Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Fences, walls, and hedges are permitted in all districts, subject to the following conditions.
(1) Fences shall be permitted in any yard. Walls shall not be located in the front yard. Furthermore, no wall shall project past the front building line of any principally permitted or conditionally permitted structure.
(2) Hedges may be permitted in the required front yard.
(3) If no structure exists on said residential property, no fence, wall, or hedge may project past the front building line of the average or the adjacent properties, or the minimum front yard setback, whichever is greater.
(4) No fence, wall, or hedge shall be closer than three feet to any right-of-way line.
(1) Fences, walls, and hedges shall not exceed four feet in the front yard or six feet in height for other yards for residential uses unless such fence, wall, or hedge is used for screening purposes, in which case its height shall not exceed six feet or be less than four feet.
(2) Fences, walls, and hedges shall not exceed eight feet to any right-of-way line.
(1) Fences shall not contain an electric charge.
(2) Barbed wire shall be permitted only in the M-1 Manufacturing District, and only on the top of a perimeter fence.
(D) Site distance requirements. No fence, wall, or hedge shall violate the site distance requirements found in § 154.163.
(E) Zoning permit. A zoning permit is required from the village for the erection or installation of all fences and walls.
(F) Line fences. Any fence built on a property line shall be agreed upon, in writing, by both property owners, and shall accompany the zoning permit application.
(G) Posts. Posts are to be placed on the applicant’s side of any fence erected or installed.
(Ord. 580, passed 11-30-1998)