Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Office created. The office of Director of Finance is hereby created and established.
(`67 Code, § 1-13-1)
(B) Bond. The Director of Finance shall, before entering upon the duties of his or her office, execute a bond to the city, conditioned upon the faithful performance of his duties, in an amount to be fixed from time to time by resolution of the City Council.
(`67 Code, § 1-13-2)
(C) Compensation. The Director of Finance shall receive as compensation such salary as the City Council shall from time to time fix by resolution.
(`67 Code, § 1-13-3)
(D) Powers and duties. The Director of Finance shall perform all duties of his office by state law, the ordinances of the city, and such other duties not in conflict therewith as may be required by the City Manager and the City Council. In addition, the Director of Finance shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Administration of financial affairs. Have charge of the administration of the financial affairs of the city.
(2) Budget. Compile annual fiscal year budget expense and income estimates for the city and submit them to the City Manager by April 15 for the following fiscal year beginning July 1.
(3) Accounting system. Maintain a general accounting system for the city government and each of the offices, departments and agencies thereof.
(4) Disbursements. Supervise and be responsible for the disbursement of all money; audit all purchase orders; audit all bills, invoices, payrolls, demands and other charges against the city government before submission to the City Council for approval.
(5) Financial reports. Submit to the City Manager and City Council a monthly statement of all receipts and disbursements in sufficient detail to show the exact financial condition of the city; and, as of the end of each fiscal year, submit a complete financial statement and report.
(6) Property inventory. Supervise the keeping of current inventories of all property of the city by all city departments, offices and agencies.
(7) Demands for money. Demand and receive all monies and fees owing to the city whenever any person is indebted to the city in any manner, when the means of collection of such debt is not otherwise provided for by law.
(8) Collection of utility accounts, fees, and the like. Supervise the collection and billing of water, sewer and garbage accounts, bicycle license fees, dog license fees, building permit fees, and all other miscellaneous income receipts to the city.
(9) Preparation and issuance of business licenses. Preparation of city business licenses and the supervision of the issuance of business licenses and the collection of fees therefor.
(10) Other functions. To perform such other functions as the City Manager may from time to time specify or such other functions as may be prescribed from time to time by action of the City Council.
(`67 Code, § 1-13-4)
(E) Duties transferred from City Clerk. The Director of Finance shall perform all the financial and accounting duties heretofore imposed upon the City Clerk, and the City Clerk shall be and hereby is relieved of all such duties imposed upon the City Clerk by Cal. Gov't Code §§ 37700 et seq. and §§ 40802 through 40805.
(`67 Code, § 1-13-5) (Ord. 84-01, passed 2-27-84; Am. Ord. 2008-011, passed 10-13-08; Am. Ord. 2017-001, passed 1-10-17)
Transfer of duties authorized, see Cal. Gov't Code §§ 37209 and 40805.5