Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Any person seeking a massage practitioner permit shall file a written application on the required form with the Chief of Police. The application shall be accompanied by the appropriate non-refundable filing fee established by resolution of the City Council. The application shall be accompanied by the required supporting documentation. The application shall contain the following information:
(1) A statement of the exact location at which the applicant will be working as a massage practitioner, including the full street address and all telephone numbers associated with the location.
(2) The following personal information of the practitioner applicant:
(a) Full complete name and all aliases used by the applicant;
(b) Current address and telephone number and all previous residential addresses for the eight years preceding the date of the application;
(c) Acceptable written proof that the applicant is at least 18 years of age;
(d) Driver's license and Social Security card;
(e) Height, weight, color of hair and eyes, and gender;
(f) Two current "passport" photographs of the applicant, each not exceeding four square inches in size, and being only front views of the face and head;
(g) The applicant's business, occupation and employment history of the applicant for the eight years immediately preceding the date of the application, including, but not limited to, massage or similar business history and experience of the applicant;
(h) The complete massage permit history of the applicant: whether such person has ever had any permit or license issued by any agency, board, city, county, territory or state; the date of issuance of such a permit or license; and whether the permit or license was denied, revoked or suspended, and the reasons therefore.
(3) All criminal convictions, including pleas of nolo contendre, within the last eight years, including those dismissed or expunged pursuant to Cal. Penal Code § 1203.4, but excluding minor traffic violations, and the date and place of each such conviction and explanation thereof.
(4) A complete set of fingerprints as directed by the Police Department.
(5) Authorization for the city, its agents and employees to seek verification of the information contained in the application.
(6) Such other identification and information as the Police Chief may reasonably require in order to discover the truth of the matters herein specified and as required to be set forth in the application.
(7) A statement in writing and dated by the applicant that he or she certifies under penalty of perjury that all information contained in the application is true and correct.
(8) Statements in writing and dated by the applicant certifying under penalty of perjury that he or she:
(a) Has received a copy of this chapter;
(b) Understands its contents; and,
(c) Understands the duties of a massage practitioner as provided in this chapter.
(9) An original or certified copy of a diploma or certificate and certified transcript of graduation for completion of 500 hours of instruction from a recognized school of massage.
(a) The Police Chief may consider an applicant's study of massage completed outside of the state if proof of completion from a formalized course of study massage practice, anatomy, and/or physiology is provided with the application. Proof of completion shall include dates of study and the name, address, and phone number of the school attended, the original diploma or certificate, and certified transcripts of graduation.
(b) Any out-of-state course of study submitted for approval shall meet the State of California's Office of Post-Secondary Education's minimum requirements and be for completion of 500 hours of on-premises training.
(B) If, during the term of a permit, a permit holder has any change in information submitted on the original or renewal application, the permit holder shall notify the Police Department of such change in writing within ten business days thereafter.
(Ord. 2006-003, passed 3-13-06; Am. Ord. 2008-004, passed 3-10-08)