Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For purposes of this chapter the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
BLIGHTED OR DETERIORATED PROPERTY. Any vacant structure or vacant or unimproved lot or parcel of ground in a predominantly built-up neighborhood which:
(1) Because of physical condition or use is regarded as a public nuisance at common law;
(2) Is considered an attractive nuisance to children by reason of structures and appurtenances therein or thereon, including but not limited to abandoned wells, shafts, basements, excavations, or the unsafe condition of any structures or fences thereon;
(3) Because it is dilapidated, unsanitary, unsafe, vermin infested, or lacking in the facilities and equipment required by the city's housing or maintenance codes, has been designated by the codes enforcement office as being unfit for human habitation;
(4) Is a fire hazard or is otherwise dangerous to the safety of persons or property;
(5) Has had the utilities, plumbing, heating, sewerage, or other facilities disconnected therefrom, destroyed, removed, or rendered ineffective so that the property is unfit for its intended use;
(6) By reason of neglect or lack of maintenance has become a place for the accumulation of trash and debris, or a haven for rodents or other vermin; or
(7) Has not been rehabilitated within the time constraints placed upon the owner by the appropriate codes enforcement agency.
REDEVELOPMENT. The planning or replanning, design or redesign, acquisition, clearance, development, or disposal of a property in the preparation of such property for residential and related uses, as may be appropriate or necessary.
RESIDENTIAL AND RELATED USE. Residential property for sale or rental and related uses, including but not limited to park and recreation areas, neighborhood community service, and neighborhood parking lots.
VACANT PROPERTY REVIEW COMMISSION. The Commission established by this chapter to review vacant properties and to make a written determination of blight and deterioration.
(Ord. 07-35, passed 11-13-07)