Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Zoning Inspector. A Chief Building Official shall be employed as the zoning inspector to act as the administrative officer for the purpose of effecting proper administration of this Zoning Code. For the purpose of enforcing this Zoning Code, the Chief Building Official shall have the powers of a law enforcement officer.
(b) Deputy Zoning Inspector. The deputy zoning inspector shall have the same powers as the zoning inspector but shall be subject to the administrative control of the zoning inspector.
(c) Temporary Zoning Inspector. In the event of the absence of the zoning inspector and deputy zoning inspector from their official duties, the mayor may appoint an acting zoning inspector. Such acting zoning inspector shall have the same duties and powers as the zoning inspector. The mayor may terminate the employment of an acting zoning inspector at any time and in any event, the employment of the acting zoning inspector shall terminate immediately upon the return of the zoning inspector or the deputy zoning inspector to his duties.
(d) Responsibilities of the Zoning Inspector. The zoning inspector shall have the following responsibilities and powers:
(1) Enforce the provisions of this code and interpret the meaning and application of its provisions subject to appeal to the Zoning Board of Appeals.
(2) Receive, review and make determinations on applications for zoning permits as provided by this code.
(3) Issue zoning permits as provided by this code, and keep a record of same with notations of special conditions involved.
(4) Review and process applications pursuant to the provisions of this code.
(5) Make determinations as to whether violations of this code exist, determine the nature and extent thereof, and notify the owner in writing, specifying the exact nature of the violation and the manner in which it shall be corrected by the owner, pursuant to the procedures in this code.
(6) Conduct inspections of buildings and uses of land to determine compliance or non-compliance with this code.
(7) Maintain permanent and current records required by this code, including but not limited to zoning permits, inspection documents and records of all variances, amendments and conditional uses. These records shall be made available for the use of the City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals and to the public.
(8) Revoke a zoning permit or approval issued contrary to this code based on false statements or misrepresentation in the application.
(9) Issue tickets and instigate other legal actions for land use infractions pursuant to Ohio R.C. 765.01.
(10) Maintain a record of non-conforming uses.
(Ord. 2001-081. Passed 8-6-01.)