Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. There is hereby created the Office of the Director of Human Resources. The Director shall be appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the Council and shall serve at the pleasure of the Mayor.
B. The duties of the Director of Human Resources shall be to:
1. Assemble and analyze data concerning problems, such as absenteeism and labor turnover;
2. Conduct surveys on living costs and wage rates;
3. Study current labor laws and regulations, arbitration decisions, collective bargaining contracts and other labor relations trends;
4. Formulate, interpret and recommend manpower policies concerning recruitment, selection, placement, wage and salary administration, collective bargaining, maintenance of personnel records and educational, health, safety and incentive programs;
5. Set up a system of performance reporting and employee rating;
6. Consult with legal staff to insure adherence to laws, regulations and contracts;
7. Plan and carry out policies relating to all phases of personnel activities;
8. Organize recruitment, selection and training procedures and direct activities of subordinates directly concerned;
9. Study personnel records for information such as educational background, work records and supervisor's reports to determine personnel suitable for promotion and transfers; and
10. Make personnel surveys and job classification studies upon request of the Common Council; and
11. Other duties as assigned.
(Ord. 6277 (part), 2019: Ord. 6138 (part), 2016: Ord. 5324 (part), 2007)