Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Every operator of a motor vehicle subject to § 70.11 of this chapter shall carry within the vehicle evidence of insurance.
(B) The evidence shall be legible and sufficient to demonstrate that the motor vehicle currently is covered by a liability insurance policy as required under § 70.11 of this chapter and may include, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) An insurance card provided by the insurer under this section;
(2) The combination of proof of purchase of the motor vehicle within the previous 60 days and a current insurance card issued for the motor vehicle replaced by such purchase;
(3) The current declarations page of a liability insurance policy;
(4) A liability insurance binder, certificate of liability insurance or receipt for payment to an insurer or its authorized representative for liability insurance premium; provided, such documents contains all information the Secretary of State by rule and regulation may require;
(5) A current rental agreement;
(6) Registration plates, registration sticker or other evidence of registration issued by the Secretary only upon submission of proof of liability insurance pursuant to this traffic code; and
(7) A certificate, decal or other document or device issued by a governmental agency for a motor vehicle indicating the vehicle is insured for liability pursuant to law.
(C) An insurance card shall be provided for each motor vehicle insured by the insurer issuing the liability insurance policy.
(D) The form, contents and manner of issuance of the insurance card shall be prescribed by rules and regulations of the Secretary of State. The Secretary shall adopt rules requiring that reasonable measurers be taken to prevent the fraudulent production of insurance cards. The insurance card shall display an effective date and an expiration date covering a period of time not to exceed 12 months. The insurance card shall contain the following disclaimer: “Examine policy exclusions carefully. This form does not constitute any part of your insurance policy”. If the insurance policy represented by the insurance card does not cover any driver operating the motor vehicle with the owner’s permission, or the owner when operating a motor vehicle other than the vehicle for which the policy is issued, the insurance card shall contain a warning of such limitations in the coverage provided by the policy.
(E) No insurer shall issue a card, similar in appearance, form and content to the insurance card required under this section, in connection with an insurance policy that does not provide the liability insurance coverage required under § 70.11 of this chapter.
(F) The evidence of insurance shall be displayed upon request made by any law enforcement officer wearing a uniform or displaying a badge or other sign of authority. Any person who fails or refuses to comply with such request is in violation of 625 ILCS 5/3-707. Any person who displays evidence of insurance, knowing there is no valid liability insurance in effect on the motor vehicle as required under § 70.11 of this chapter or knowing the evidence of insurance is illegally altered, counterfeit or otherwise invalid, is in violation of 625 ILCS 5/3-710.
(G) DISPLAY means the manual surrender of evidence of insurance into the hands of the law enforcement officer, court or officer of the court making the request for the officer’s, court’s or officer of the court’s inspection thereof.
(Prior Code, § 24-2-10) (Ord. 09-408, passed 8-3-2009)