Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) This zoning code shall be enforced by the Zoning Inspector. In no case shall a site plan approval be issued if the building or use would be in violation of any of the provisions of the zoning code or of any of the ordinances of the Village.
(b) Violations. Pursuant to this zoning code it shall be unlawful to:
(1) Use or occupy any land or place; build, erect, alter, remodel, restore, or rebuild thereon any building or structure; permit any building or structure to remain on such land; or use, occupy, or operate such building or structure, in any way or for any use or purpose which is not permitted by the provisions of this zoning code;
(2) Use or occupy any parcel of land; use or occupy a new building or structure; or enlarge, substitute, or otherwise change the use, occupancy, or configuration of any land, building, or structure, without having received a zoning permit, conditional use permit, or certificate of zoning completion, as applicable, indicating compliance with the provisions of this zoning code from the Zoning Inspector;
(3) Violate or fail to perform any condition, stipulation, or safeguard set forth in any certificate, permit, or approval issued pursuant to this zoning code, or continue to use or occupy the premises, building, or structure as previously authorized by such certificate, permit, or approval beyond the duration limit therein stated;
(4) Continue construction, renovation, or improvements contrary to a stop work order or notice of violation;
(5) Refuse to permit the Zoning Inspector to enter any premises in the Village to investigate a reported violation of the provisions of this zoning code; or
(6) Knowingly, make any materially false statement of fact in an application to the Zoning Inspector for development plan approval, a zoning permit, conditional use permit, certificate of non-conforming use, or certificate of zoning compliance, or in the plans or specifications submitted to the Zoning Inspector in relation to such application.
(c) Any site plan approval that is issued based upon a false statement by the applicant shall be revoked. Whenever the fact of such false statement shall be established to the satisfaction of the Commission, the site plan approval shall be revoked by delivering a notice in writing to the holder of the revoked site plan approval upon the premises concerned or if such holder is not found there, by posting said notice of revocation in some conspicuous place upon the said premises. Any person who shall proceed thereafter with work or use covered by the revoked site plan without having obtained a new site plan approval, shall be deemed guilty of a violation of the zoning code.
(d) Violation Considered a Nuisance. Any building or structure erected, altered, moved, razed, or converted, or any use of land or premises carried on in violation of any provision of this zoning code may be declared to be a nuisance. Any building or land use activity considered to be a possible violation of any provision of this zoning code that is observed by any Village official shall be reported to the Zoning Inspector.
(e) Inspection of Property. The Zoning Inspector may inspect any building or structure erected, altered, moved, razed, or converted, or any use of land or premises carried on in alleged violation of any of the provisions of this zoning code including any alleged failure to comply with any conditions placed upon an application at the time of approval.
(f) Notice of Violation.
(1) Upon finding a violation, the Zoning Inspector shall order, in writing, the owner, agent occupant or operator of such building, structure, or premises to correct, within a stated reasonable time, all conditions that are found to be in violation of this zoning code. After such a notice is served, no work, except to correct the violation or comply with the notice, shall proceed on any building, structure, or premises included in the violation.
(2) Such notice of violation shall be by either personal delivery to the person or persons responsible, or by certified mail, addressed to the person or persons responsible at the last known address.
(g) Issuance of a Citation. Prior to the issuance of any citation the Zoning Inspector shall consult with the Village Solicitor to insure that the zoning code is being properly administered.
(Ord. 1133-16. Passed 9-12-16.)