Whenever any property owner or occupant desires to obtain a supply of water from the waterworks of the city, he shall make application therefor in writing to the superintendent on blanks to be furnished by him, and sign an agreement that he will be governed by the terms of this chapter and all rules and regulations that may be prescribed by the city council in relation to the water supply. The application must state the location, kind of building, number of rooms, number of kitchen sinks, bathtubs, lavatories, toilets, and the area of ground to be supplied, and fully state the purpose for which the water is to be used. Such application must thereupon be filed with the city recorder, and the superintendent of waterworks will be authorized to extend, by and with the consent of the city council, service pipe to the curb line at the point most convenient for supplying the premises with water. (Prior code § 7-1-3)