Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Authority To Close Street:
1. City personnel or contractors, while repairing or improving the streets of the city, and city personnel and utility companies, when installing, improving, or repairing lines or other utility facilities in the streets, are hereby authorized as necessary, subject to control by the mayor, to close any street or section thereof to traffic during such repair, maintenance, or construction.
2. In exercising this authority, the appropriate personnel, contractor or utility company shall erect or cause to be erected proper control devices and barricades to warn and notify the public that the street has been closed to traffic.
B. Driving Through Area Prohibited; Exception:
1. When any street has been closed to traffic under the provisions of subsection A of this section and traffic control devices or barricades have been erected, it is unlawful for any person to drive any vehicle through, under, over, or around such traffic control devices or barricades, or otherwise to enter the closed area.
2. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to persons entering the closed area or zone for the protection of lives or property. Persons having their places of residence or places of business within the closed area may travel, when possible to do so, through the area at their own risk.
C. Traffic Control Devices Required:
1. Whenever construction, repair, or maintenance of any street or utility line or facility is being performed under traffic, the city personnel, contractor, or utility company concerned shall erect, or cause to be erected, traffic control devices to warn and guide the public.
2. Every person using the street shall obey all signs, signals, markings, flag persons, or other traffic control devices which are placed to regulate, control, and guide traffic through the construction or maintenance area. (1990 Code § 15-210)