Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Permit Required. No person shall erect, construct, alter, repair, equip, remove or demolish a house, building or structure without first filing with the Building Officer an application in writing and obtaining a permit.
(Ord. 1947-70. Passed 7-16-47.)
(b) Fees; Contents of Permit. No permit shall be issued by the Building Officer until the fees hereinafter prescribed have been paid to him. Each permit shall show the owner's name, the location of the premises, the operations involved and a receipt for the total amount paid.
Where the work for which a permit is required by this Building Code is started, or proceeded with, prior to obtaining such permit, the fees hereinafter prescribed shall be doubled, except that where such fees exceed two hundred dollars ($200.00), that part of the fee in excess of two hundred dollars ($200.00) shall not be doubled. Such fees shall be the fees for the entire project, and the payment of such double fees shall not relieve any person from fully complying with the requirements of this Building Code in the execution of the work, nor from any other penalty prescribed herein.
(c) Effective Period. When a permit has been issued, the operation called for by it shall be for a term of one year from its date for new construction and six months for alterations and repairs under ten thousand dollars ($10,000) provided that the work authorized by such permit is begun within thirty days of the date of the issuance of such permit. At the expiration of one year for new construction and six months for alterations and repairs under ten thousand dollars ($10,000) from the date of the issuance of the permit, a new permit shall be obtained in the same manner as provided for the original permit, before such work can proceed further.
(Ord. 1991-95. Passed 8-13-91.)
(d) Application. Applications for permits shall be filed in triplicate upon appropriate forms furnished by the Building Officer and, for work other than nonstructural reconstruction, alteration, installation or repair work, shall be accompanied by plans in duplicate of the proposed work, a statement of the materials to be used and a lot or plot plan showing the dimensions of the lot and the location and dimensions of the building or structure. Such lot or plot plan shall be accompanied by such information as to establish accurately the legal boundaries and dimensions of the property.
(e) Issuance. If the Building Officer approves such application for a building permit and such application is found to be in accordance with the provisions of this Building Code and other ordinances of the City, the Building Officer shall indicate his approval of such application and issue a building permit for the proposed work as soon as practicable.
(f) Moving, Removal, Demolition. No building shall be moved until a permit has been obtained from the Building Officer or other designated official, and such official shall not issue a permit if in his judgment the proposed new location of the building would seriously increase the fire hazard of the surrounding buildings. No building of frame construction or unprotected metal construction shall hereafter be moved from without to within the fire limits.
No permit to remove a building or structure shall be granted until notice of application thereof has been given to the owners of lots adjoining the lot upon which such building or structure is to be moved and to the owners of wires or other impediments, the temporary removal of which will be necessary, and an opportunity has been given such owners to be heard upon such application; nor until a bond in an adequate sum has been filed with the Mayor to indemnify and save harmless the City for damages.
Demolition permits shall be applied for the same as building permits, but with no plans needed. However, specifications and diagrams showing methods to be used for needling or shoring adjacent buildings may be required by the Building Officer.
(g) Approval in Part. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the Building Officer from issuing a permit for the construction of part of a building or structure before the entire plans and detailed statements of such building or structure have been submitted or approved, if adequate information and detailed statements have been presented for the same and have been found to comply with this Building Code.
(1) All work performed under a permit issued by the Building Officer shall conform to the approved application and plans, and approved amendments thereof.
(2) The location of all new construction as shown on the approved plot diagram, or an approved amendment thereof, shall be strictly adhered to.
(3) No plans, specifications or area of a lot or plot for which a plot diagram has been filed and has been used as a basis for a permit, when once approved by the Building Officer or other authorized agent, shall in any way be changed or altered without the written consent of the Building Officer or his authorized agent.
(4) The permit holder or his agent shall keep posted in a conspicuous place on the work, the permit, and shall keep it posted until the completion of the work. The Building Officer may require a certified copy of the approved plans to be kept on the premises at all times from the commencement of the work until the completion thereof. The Building Officer shall be given at least twelve hours' notice of the starting of work under a permit.
(5) Every permit issued by the Building Officer under the provisions of this Building Code shall have his signature affixed thereto. However, he may authorize a subordinate to affix such signature.
(i) Revocation. The Building Officer may revoke a permit or approval issued under the provisions of this Building Code in case there has been any false statement or misrepresentation as to a material fact in the application or plans on which the permit or approval was based.
(j) Conformity to Zoning Code. No building permit shall be issued for any building or structure, the construction of which, or other work on which, violates any of the provisions of the Zoning Code, as now adopted or as hereafter amended or supplemented.
(Ord. 1947-70. Passed 7-16-47.)