Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(a) "Billposter" means and includes any person engaging in the business for hire of posting, fastening, nailing or otherwise affixing any written, painted or printed matter of any kind or other form or reproduction thereof (hereinafter called "sign") containing a message or information of any kind whatsoever, to any outdoor billboard, or to or upon any bridge, fence, pole, post, sidewalk, tree or to or upon the exterior of any other structure, except that the terms of this definition (subsection (a)) shall not apply to nor include any such sign mounted on, fastened to or suspended from the outside of any building or other structure, in accordance with and authorized by any provisions of an ordinance or statute, either for any public convenience or use, or regulating the construction or use of so-called outdoor display signs whether such display signs are illuminated or not.
(b) "Commercial handbill" means and includes any printed or written matter, any sample or device, dodger, circular, leaflet, pamphlet, paper, booklet or any other printed or otherwise reproduced original or copies of any matter or literature:
(1) Which advertises for sale any merchandise, product, commodity or thing;
(2) Which directs attention to any business, mercantile or commercial establishment or other activity, for the purpose of either directly or indirectly promoting the interests thereof by sales;
(3) Which directs attention to or advertises any meeting, theatrical performance, exhibition or event of any kind for which an admission fee is charged for the purpose of private gain or profit; but the terms of this subsection shall not apply where an admission fee is charged or a collection is taken up for the purpose of defraying the expenses incident to such meeting, theatrical performance, exhibition or event of any kind, when either of the same is held, given or takes place in connection with the dissemination of information which is not restricted under the ordinary rules of decency, good morals, public peace, safety and good order; provided, that nothing contained in this subsection shall be deemed to authorize the holding, giving or taking place of any meeting, theatrical performance, exhibition or event of any kind without a license, where such license is or may be required by any law of this State or under any ordinance of this City;
(4) Which, while containing reading matter other than advertising matter, is predominantly and essentially an advertisement and is distributed or circulated for advertising purposes or for the private benefit and gain of any person so engaged as advertiser or distributor; or
(5) Which is not covered by the definition of "sign", in subsection (a).
(c) "Handbill distributor" means and includes any person engaging or engaged in the act or operation of distributing commercial or noncommercial handbills other than newspapers distributed to subscribers thereof, and any person receiving compensation directly or indirectly for the distribution of such handbills.
(d) "Newspaper" means and includes any newspaper of general circulation as defined by general law, any newspaper duly entered with the Post Office Department of the United States in accordance with Federal statute or regulation and any newspaper filed and recorded with any recording officer as provided by general law; and, in addition thereto, shall mean and include any periodical or current magazine regularly published with not less than four issues per year and sold to the public.
(e) "Noncommercial handbill" means and includes any printed or written matter, any sample or device, dodger, circular, leaflet, pamphlet, newspaper, magazine, paper booklet or any other printed or otherwise reproduced original or copies of any matter or literature not included in the aforesaid definitions of a sign, of a commercial handbill or a newspaper.
(f) "Person" means and includes any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
(g) "Private premises" means and includes any dwelling, house, building or other structure designed or used either wholly or in part for private residential purposes whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and includes any yard, grounds, walk, driveway, porch, steps, vestibule or mailbox belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling, house, building or other structure.
(h) "Public place" means and includes any and all streets, boulevards, avenues, lanes, alleys or other public ways, and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, plazas, grounds and buildings.
(i) Words singular in form may include the plural; any words plural in form may include the singular; and words in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter genders.
(Ord. 1958-46. Passed 7-7-58.)