Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Intent. The city, consistent with F.S. § 316.008(6), has chosen to implement the Combat Automobile Theft Program (hereinafter referred to as CAT) in an effort to curtail the number of criminal incidents involving the theft of a motor vehicle.
(1) Motor vehicle owners may enroll their vehicles in the CAT program by providing advance written consent to the City Police Department to stop their enrolled vehicles if they are being driven between the hours of 1:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M., provided that a decal is conspicuously affixed to the bottom left corner of the back window of the vehicle.
(2) Consent forms may be obtained through the City Police Department.
(3) Upon execution of the requisite consent forms the City Police Department shall provide a decal approved by the Department of Law Enforcement indicating a vehicle's enrollment in the CAT program. The owner of the motor vehicle is responsible for removing the decal when terminating participation in the program or when selling or otherwise transferring ownership of the vehicle.
(1) The City's Police Department is charged with the responsibility for the enforcement of this section.
(2) No civil liabilities will arise from the actions of the law enforcement officer when stopping a vehicle enrolled in this program; provided, however, that the stop is made in accordance with the requirements of the Combat Automobile Theft Program.
(Ord. 94-21, passed 3-1-94)