Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All applicants for city employment must file written application on the form prescribed by the Personnel Department. Proof of age, citizenship, experience, schooling, and the like may also be required.
('58 Code, § 11.92)
(B) Applicants for employment and heads of city departments must be citizens of the United States. Applications for other positions in the classified service will be accepted from noncitizens who are federally registered permanent resident aliens.
('58 Code, § 11.92.1) (Ord. 80-84, passed 9-23-80; Am. Ord. 2000-25, passed 12-14-99)
(C) There is no requirement of residence for filing an application for employment.
('58 Code, § 11.92.2)
(D) The Personnel Director may, after consultation with the department head concerned, prescribe minimum qualifications as required by the nature of the work to be performed. Such requirements shall be announced to all applicants.
('58 Code, § 11.92.3)
(E) The Personnel Director shall reject any applications or applicants when he has determined the following.
(1) The application was not filed within the period specified for filing or was not filed on the prescribed form.
(2) The applicant is physically unfit to perform effectively the duties of the position in which he seeks employment.
(3) The applicant lacks any of the required qualifications.
(4) The applicant is addicted to the habitual use of drugs or intoxicating liquor, or has been convicted of a felony or first degree misdemeanor which directly relates to the position of employment sought.
(5) An applicant for a position in the Fire Department has a prior felony conviction and four years have not elapsed after expiration of sentence or final release by the Parole and Probation Commission, unless the applicant has received a full pardon or has had his civil rights restored.
(6) The applicant has made a false statement of a material fact or practiced or attempted to practice any fraud or deception in his application.
(7) The applicant was previously in the city service and was removed for cause or resigned not in good standing.
(8) The applicant, after notification, did not promptly present himself at the time and place designated for the employment examination.
(9) The applicant's past work record does not meet the standards of city employment.
('58 Code, § 11.92.4)
(Ord. 69-85, passed 9-9-69; Am. Ord. 2000-25, passed 12-14-99)