Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose: The purpose of this section is to control the installation of satellite dish antennas. It is recognized that the unrestricted use of these installations will be contrary to the City's efforts to stabilize economic and social aspects of neighborhood environments and the City's efforts to promote safety and aesthetic considerations, family environments and a basic residential character within the City. It is the intent of this chapter to permit antennas where they can be installed without creating an adverse economic, safety and aesthetic impact on neighboring property owners and the overall community.
(B) General: The regulations set forth in this chapter shall apply to satellite dish antennas as defined by section 10-1-4 of this title. Satellite dish antennas shall be permitted uses in any zone in the City provided such installations meet the requirements set forth herein. If such installation cannot meet the requirements set forth herein, then such installations shall be processed as a variance as provided in sections 10-3-5 and 10-3-6 of this title.
(C) Development Standards: The following development standards shall apply to all satellite dish antennas:
1. Setbacks: Satellite dish antennas shall not be located within any required front, side or rear yard setback.
2. Height: The maximum height of any satellite dish antenna shall be thirteen feet (13'). Satellite dish antennas that are roof mounted, or those which exceed thirteen feet (13') in height above natural grade, shall be processed as a variance as described herein.
1. A solid fence or wall (wood, brick masonry, or slatted chainlink or some combination thereof) shall be installed around all sides visible from the public right of way when a satellite dish is so located as to be visible from the public right of way, or
2. Landscaping screening and/or trees of sufficient growth to screen the majority of the satellite dish antenna from the public view when the satellite dish is visible from the public right of way.
(E) Application: An application for a satellite dish antenna installation shall be filed with the building division and shall include the following:
1. Location map drawn to scale showing the location of antenna, height of antenna as measured from the natural grade, and setback distances.
2. Site plans showing the location of existing trees and other natural features, buildings on the site, the location and design of proposed landscaping and screening materials or varieties of plants and other landscape features including fences.
3. Additional information, plans, and drawings as deemed necessary by the building or planning division to assist in the evaluation of the design adequacy and a building permit application fee established and amended by resolution of the city council.
(F) Satellite Dish Antenna Installations Within A Historic District: All installations of satellite dish antennas within a historic district shall meet the requirements described herein for any installation within a historic district. Such application shall also be subject to review and recommendation by the historic advisory committee.
(G) Nonconforming Satellite Dish Antennas: Nonconforming satellite dish antennas erected prior to the effective date of this amendment shall be brought into compliance with all development standards of the applicable zoning district regulations as described herein, no later than five (5) years after the said effective date.
(H) Severability: If any section, subsection, phrase or clause of this chapter is for any reason held to be unconstitutional, such decisions shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions of this chapter. The city council hereby declares that it would have passed this chapter and each section, subsection, phrase or clause thereof, irrespective of the fact that any one or more subsections, phrases or clauses be declared unconstitutional. (Ord. 1474, 1-8-1991)