Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following definitions shall apply to this Chapter.
(1) Claim. Any request or demand, whether under a contract or otherwise, for money or property, or financial assistance (as defined in subsection 17-1401(16), but regardless of amount), which is made to any employee, officer or agent of the City or to any contractor, grantee or other recipient of money or property, if the City provides any portion of the money or property which is requested or demanded, or will reimburse such contractor, grantee, or other recipient for any portion of the money or property which is requested or demanded.
(2) Contractor. A person who enters into a contact with the City or any owner, officer, director, employee or agent of such person, any subcontractor of such person or any person acting in concert or conspiring with such person, but not including any person who is a city official or employee or was a city official or employee at the time of the alleged conduct.
(3) False Claim. A claim, or information relating to a claim, which is false or fraudulent.
(4) Investigation. An inquiry conducted for the purpose of ascertaining whether any person is or has been engaged in a violation of this Chapter.
(5) Knowing and knowingly. Acting with actual knowledge of the information, in deliberate ignorance of the truth or falsity of the information, or in reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the information. No proof of specific intent to defraud is required.
(6) Proceeds. The treble damages and fines as provided in Section 19-3602, but not attorneys' fees and costs.