Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 19-3501. Definitions. 660
In this Chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this Section, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(2) Reserved. 662
(3) General Acute Care Hospital. 663 A Hospital other than a Hospital that the Secretary has determined meets one of the following:
(a) Is excluded under 42 C.F.R. § 412.23(a), (b), (d), (e) and (f) (relating to excluded hospitals: classifications) as of March 20, 2008, from reimbursement of certain Federal funds under the prospective payment system described by 42 C.F.R. Pt. 412 (relating to prospective payment systems for inpatient hospital services).
(b) Is a Federal veterans' affairs hospital.
(c) Is a High Volume Medicaid Hospital.
(d) Provides care, including inpatient hospital services, to all patients free of charge.
(e) Is a free-standing acute care hospital organized primarily for the treatment of and research on cancer and which is an exempt hospital under Section 801-G of Act No. 21 of 1967, as amended, 62 P.S. § 801-G, known as the Human Services Code. 664
(4) Hospital. A facility or the site of a facility that is licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Health as a hospital under 28 Pa. Code, Part IV, Subpart B (relating to general and special hospitals) and located within the City. 665
(5) Net Patient Revenue. Gross revenues received or earned by a hospital for inpatient and outpatient services, including Pennsylvania medical assistance supplemental revenues received by the hospital for inpatient and outpatient hospital services, less any deducted amounts for bad debt expense, charity care expense, and contractual allowances as identified in the hospital's records or on such forms as the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services may prescribe. 666
(6) Secretary. The Secretary of Human Services for the Commonwealth. 667
(7) High Volume Medicaid Hospital. A Hospital that the Secretary has determined provides over 60,000 inpatient acute care days of care to Pennsylvania medical assistance patients as evidenced by the hospital's State fiscal year 2014-2015 Medical Assistance hospital cost report on file with the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services as of June 6, 2018, and is a non-profit hospital subsidiary of a state-related institution as that term is defined in 62 Pa. C.S. § 103 (relating to definitions). 668
(8) High Volume Medicaid Hospital Assessment. The fee to be assessed upon every High Volume Medicaid Hospital within the City. 669
Enrolled Bill No. 080465 contained no subsections (3) or (4); renumbered by Code editor.
Amended, Bill No. 190440 (approved June 26, 2019). Section 4 of Bill No. 190440 provides: "Sections 1 and 2 of this Ordinance shall be effective upon certification by the City Solicitor to the Chief Clerk of Council that the necessary authorizing legislation has been enacted by the General Assembly and that the Revenue Commissioner and the Commonwealth Secretary of Human Services have entered into an agreement regarding authorized retention of funds by the City; provided that Sections 1 and 2 shall have no applicability to any assessments for periods prior to July 1, 2019. Sections 1 and 2 of this Ordinance and the assessments imposed thereunder are subject to all of the conditions and requirements specified under the aforementioned State authorizing legislation. To the extent any quarterly due date authorized by Sections 1 and 2 occurred prior to the Effective Date of Sections 1 and 2, the payments that would have been due on such dates shall become due, in one lump sum, at the next due date following such Effective Date." The City Solicitor filed the necessary certification on October 29, 2019.
Deleted, Bill No. 090446-A (approved June 26, 2009). Section 2 of Bill No. 090446-A provides: "This Ordinance shall be effective upon certification by the City Solicitor to the Chief Clerk of Council that the necessary authorizing legislation has been enacted by the General Assembly and that the Revenue Commissioner and the Commonwealth Secretary of Public Welfare have entered into an agreement regarding authorized retention of funds to offset administrative and other expenses by the City. This ordinance and the assessments imposed hereunder are subject to all of the conditions and requirements specified under the aforementioned State authorizing legislation." The City Solicitor issued the necessary certification on May 27, 2010.
Added, Bill No. 160872 (approved December 20, 2016).