Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 19-1507. Liability of Persons To Collect, Account For and Pay Over Wage Taxes. 318
(1) Any person required to collect, truthfully account for, and pay over any tax imposed by this Chapter on salaries, wages, commissions and other compensation who fails to collect such tax, or truthfully account for and pay over such tax, or willfully attempts in any manner to evade or defeat any such tax or the payment thereof, shall be liable for the full amount of such tax.
(2) For purposes of subsection 19-1507(1), an individual or entity that exercises significant control over the financial affairs of an employer, including without limitation the disbursements of funds or determining the priority of payments to creditors, is deemed to be a person required to collect, truthfully account for, and pay over any tax imposed by this Chapter on salaries, wages, commissions and other compensation.
(3) For purposes of this Section, "person" includes a shareholder, director, trustee, officer or employee of a corporation, or a partner or employee of a partnership, or the sole proprietor of a sole proprietorship, or a third party who makes either direct payment of wages to the employees of another or advances funds to pay the wages of the employees of another.
(4) More than one person may be liable under subsection 19-1507(1) with respect to the same employer, with each such person being jointly and severally liable for the full amount of the tax.
(5) This Section is modeled upon Section 6672 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 6672), and it is City Council's intent that this Section be construed in the same manner that Section 6672 has been construed.
Added, Bill No. 1134 (approved July 25, 1995), 1995 Ordinances, p. 1227.