Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) The following classes of vehicles will be permitted on the Transitway for necessary works thereon after notification has been given to the Department of the need to enter the Transitway and pursuant to other provisions of this Section:
(a) Public Utility Vehicles. This classification shall include all vehicles and related equipment engaged in construction, service and repair of electric, gas, telephone or any other public utility facilities.
(.1) The public utility vehicles permitted on the Transitway by this provision shall be limited to vehicles engaged in major repairs or installation in the street, sidewalks or abutting properties. If it is reasonably possible for work to be done by means of a rear access to property located on the Transitway or by way of parking the vehicles in the loading zones established in the numbered streets which intersect with the Transitway, this shall be required.
(b) Private Maintenance and Construction Vehicles. This classification shall include all privately owned or operated:
(.1) Street repair and construction vehicles and related equipment; and
(.2) Street cleaning, refuse removal and snow removal equipment;
(.a) If refuse can be removed through rear access, it is impermissible to remove it by way of the Transitway.
(c) Public Works, Maintenance and Service Vehicles. This classification shall include vehicles operated by the City of Philadelphia or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as follows:
(.1) Street repair and construction vehicles and related equipment;
(.2) Street cleaning, refuse removal and snow removal vehicles and related equipment;
(.3) Water and sewer repair and construction vehicles and related equipment; and
(.4) All other maintenance vehicles operated by the City or the Commonwealth and designated for Transitway use by rules and regulations promulgated by the Department.
(d) Vehicles employed for regular or special use as provided for in Section 12-2606.
(2) Notification to the Department of proposed entry upon Transitway shall include:
(a) Name of party requesting entry;
(b) Description of vehicle or vehicles, and related equipment; including vehicle registration number;
(c) Nature of work or other activity requiring entry;
(d) Location of proposed activity on Transitway;
(e) Proposed time of entry and estimated time of departure;
(f) Nature of emergency, if any, requiring immediate entry;
(g) Such other information as may be required by the Department.
(3) The Department shall schedule the times when it will be permissible for each vehicle which must enter the Transitway to do so, taking into consideration the number and kinds of vehicles which are expected to be present. Incases of emergency, entrance may be permitted immediately.
(a) Whenever contact with the Department cannot be made, a vehicle responding to an emergency on the Transitway shall be permitted to enter the Transitway without notification to the Department, provided that all reasonable efforts are employed not to obstruct traffic and provided that the Department shall be notified as soon thereafter as possible.
(4) All notification must be received by the Department by 4:00 p.m. if entrance to the Transitway is desired before the beginning of the next work day of the City.
(a) If entrance is needed onto the Transitway on any holiday observed by the City or on any weekend, notification shall be given by 4:00 p.m. of the last day upon which the offices of the City of Philadelphia are open for normal business.
(5) When the work or other activity which required entry upon the Transitway has been completed, the vehicle shall be removed immediately and the Department shall be notified of said departure as soon as possible.