Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In this Chapter the following definitions apply:
(1) Abuse means the occurrence of one or more of the acts set forth in the definition of "abuse" in 23 Pa. C.S. § 6102(a), provided that the limitations set forth in subsection 6102(a) with respect to the relationship between the individual conducting the abuse and the abused individual shall not apply.
(2) Court means the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
(3) Court Administrator means the Office of Court Administrator for the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania.
(4) Family or household member means, with respect to a respondent, any: (a) person related by blood, marriage, or adoption to the respondent; (b) dating partners of the respondent; (c) person who has a child in common with the respondent; (d) person who resides or has resided with the respondent within the past year; (e) domestic partner of the respondent; or (f) person who is acting or has acted as the respondent's legal guardian.
(5) Firearm means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
(6) Gun Violence Protection Order means an ex parte emergency order or a final order granted under this Chapter, or any renewal thereof.
(7) Law enforcement officer means any Municipal Police Officer as defined in 42 Pa. C.S. § 8951 or School Police Officer within the meaning of the Act of March 10, 1949, P.L. 30, No. 14, § 778, as amended, 24 P.S. § 7-778 (the "Public School Code of 1949").
(8) Petitioner means the person who files the paperwork to obtain a Gun Violence Protection Order.
(9) Respondent means the person who is identified as the individual at risk of harming such person's own self or another with a firearm.
(10) School official means any teacher, professor, adjunct professor, counselor, or principal whose knowledge of or relationship with respondent stems, at least in part, from such professional school position.