Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) Effective Date means the effective date of the ordinance that added this Chapter to The Philadelphia Code.
(2) Exempted Bag means:
(a) a bag used inside a retail establishment by a customer to deliver perishable items to the point of sale at that establishment, such as: to package bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, or candy; to contain or wrap meats or fish; to contain unwrapped prepared foods or bakery goods; or to contain or wrap flowers, potted plants, or similar items; or
(b) a bag sold in packaging containing multiple bags and packaged at the time of manufacture of the bag.
(3) Plastic means solid material that is produced from petrochemicals and that is often used to make bags for carrying products out of retail establishments.
(4) Recyclable Paper Bag means a paper bag that meets the following, but not including an Exempted Bag:
(a) contains no old growth fiber;
(b) contains a minimum of forty percent (40%) post-consumer recycled content; and
(c) displays the word "Recyclable" or "Recycled Content" in a highly visible manner and is labeled with the name of the manufacturer and the percentage of post-consumer recycled content of the bag in an easy-to-read font size.
(5) Retail Establishment means a location where food or other products are offered to the public for direct sale or delivery to a customer, including but not limited to the following: supermarket, convenience store, service station, department store, dollar store, clothing store, restaurant, food truck, farmers' market or delivery service, but not including dry cleaners.
(6) Single-use Plastic Bag means a bag made from plastic that is less than 2.25 mils thick or made through a blown-film extrusion process, but not including an Exempted Bag.