Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 9-102. Licenses and Permits. 2
(1) The Department may fix the license year on a calendar or other twelve month basis, as it deems desirable for efficient administration and for the convenience of the public, but if a license year is changed any person holding a license shall receive credit for the unexpired term.
(2) When any provision of this Title requires a permit to be obtained before the doing of a particular act, the permit shall remain in force only for the period of time specified in it or for such reasonable time as the Department may provide.
(3) Every license shall:
(a) be produced upon request; and when required by the Department it shall be publicly displayed in a conspicuous place where the licensed activity or act is principally conducted;
(b) be non-assignable and non-transferable.
(4) All licenses shall be conditioned upon continued compliance with the applicable requirements of this Title.
(5) Unless otherwise specified, a license or permit issued under this Title may be revoked for violation of any provision of this Title or of any condition of the license or permit, pursuant to the provisions of Section 9-103.
(6) If any license fee, permit fee or other charge imposed by The Philadelphia Code is not paid when due, interest at the rate of one-half percent (0.5%) of the amount of the unpaid fee or charge and a penalty at the rate of one percent (1%) of the amount of the unpaid fee or charge shall be added for each month or fraction thereof during which the fee or charge shall remain unpaid and shall be collected together with the fee or charge.
(7) Where suit is brought for the recovery of any such fee or charge the person liable therefor shall, in addition, be liable for the costs of collection together with the interest and penalties imposed.
(8) When any person shall give or cause to be given to a City official or agency a check in payment of any license fee, permit fee or other charge which is dishonored or unpaid by the bank upon which it is drawn, the sum of twenty dollars ($20) shall be added to the amount of such fee or charge plus interest and penalties as provided therein. 3
(9) No license or permit shall be issued or renewed if the applicant is delinquent in the payment of any City or School District of Philadelphia taxes, charges, fees, rents or claims, or any penalties or fines related to the applicant's business for which the applicant is responsible, unless the applicant has entered into an agreement to pay any such delinquency and is abiding by the terms of such agreement. Compliance is required by the person or business required to obtain the license or permit. Proof of compliance by submission of a Tax Clearance Certificate shall be required prior to issuance of any license or permit. 4
(a) The requirements of this subsection (9) may be waived upon:
(.1) The Department's written determination that the license or permit is required for work needed to correct a violation of The Philadelphia Code, and that immediate issuance of such license or permit is necessary to protect public safety. Waiver under this provision shall not be available for licenses to engage in a trade or business or for rental licenses.
(10) The Department is authorized to revise by regulation any fee imposed in connection with the issuance of any license or permit required under this Title. Any such fee shall be set to cover the costs of program administration, provided that no fee shall be increased to an amount higher than the fee as it existed on July 1, 2017, multiplied by the CPI Multiplier. The CPI Multiplier shall be equal to the most recently published Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U) All Items Index, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as of the effective date of the proposed fee increase, divided by the most recently published CPI-U as of July 1, 2017. 5
Amended, 1961 Ordinances, p. 991.
Added, Bill No. 050203 (approved June 15, 2005). Section 2 of Bill No. 050203 provides: "This Ordinance shall take effect December 31, 2005"; Bill No. 051027 (approved January 24, 2006) changed the effective date to June 30, 2006. Amended, Bill No. 160138-A (approved June 28, 2016), effective January 1, 2017.
Added, Bill No. 170165 (approved April 4, 2017).