Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In order to ensure that asbestos work is properly performed so as to protect building occupants and the general public from exposure to asbestos, all qualified asbestos contractors shall be licensed.
(1) No asbestos contractor shall engage in an asbestos project unless the contractor has obtained a license from the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
(2) The Board shall establish by regulation the qualifications and standards for the issuance and renewal of a license. Such standards and qualifications shall, at a minimum, include:
(a) Successful completion of approved training and review courses required by this Chapter and certification by the Department of Licenses and Inspections, provided that where the contractor is a business, the business shall have in its employ, at least one individual who has satisfied such training and certification requirements; 100
(b) the use of certified asbestos workers;
(c) the use of appropriate equipment and materials.
(3) Applicants for either a license or license renewal shall provide, in addition to any other information required, a complete record of all violations, penalties, or other sanctions imposed in regard to asbestos project activity during the previous twelve (12) months by the City of Philadelphia or any other jurisdiction.
(4) Licenses shall be valid for one (1) year. The annual license fee shall be six hundred dollars ($600), plus an annual non-refundable application fee of fifty dollars ($50). 101
(5) The Department of Licenses and Inspections shall not issue a license unless and until the Department has certified, in writing, that the applicant meets the qualifications and standards established by the Board.
(6) The Department of Licenses and Inspections shall renew a license unless the Department has certified, in writing, that the applicant has not met the qualifications and standards established by the Board. The Department shall review annually the compliance record of all asbestos contractors.
(7) The Department of Licenses and Inspections, upon a finding by the Department that an asbestos contractor has failed to comply with the provisions of this Chapter and regulations promulgated thereunder, shall deny, suspend, or revoke a license or refuse to renew a license in accordance with the recommendation of the Department.
(8) Any action taken by the Department of Licenses and Inspections pursuant to Section 6-602 may be appealed to the Board of License and Inspection Review in accordance with its procedures.
Amended, 1988 Ordinances, p. 882.