Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Pursuant to the UCC, delete Section N1103.3.5 and replace as follows:
Pursuant to the UCC, add Sections R-N1103.3.6 and R-N1103.3.7 as follows:
1. The supply and return ducts shall have an insulation R-value not less than R-8.
2. At all points along each duct, the sum of the ceiling insulation R-value against and above the top of the duct, and against and below the bottom of the duct, shall be not less than R-19, excluding the R-value of the duct insulation.
3. In Climate Zones 1A, 2A and 3A, the supply ducts shall be completely buried within ceiling insulation, insulated to an R-value of not less than R-13 and in compliance with the vapor retarder requirements of Section 604.11 of the International Mechanical Code or Section M1601.4.6 of the International Residential Code, as applicable.
Exception: Sections of the supply duct that are less than 3 feet (914 mm) from the supply outlet shall not be required to comply with these requirements.
R-N1126.96.36.199 Effective R-value of deeply buried ducts. Where using a simulated energy performance analysis, sections of ducts that are: installed in accordance with Section R403.3.6; located directly on, or within 5.5 inches (140 mm) of the ceiling; surrounded with blown-in attic insulation having an R-value of R-30 or greater and located such that the top of the duct is not less than 3.5 inches (89 mm) below the top of the insulation, shall be considered as having an effective duct insulation R-value of R-25.
1. The duct system shall be located completely within the continuous air barrier and within the building thermal envelope.
2. The ducts shall be buried within ceiling insulation in accordance with Section R403.3.6 and all of the following conditions shall exist:
2.1. The air handler is located completely within the continuous air barrier and within the building thermal envelope.
2.2. The duct leakage, as measured either by a rough-in test of the ducts or a post-construction total system leakage test to outside the building thermal envelope in accordance with Section R403.3.4, is less than or equal to 1.5 cubic feet per minute (42.5 L/min) per 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of conditioned floor area served by the duct system.
2.3. The ceiling insulation R-value installed against and above the insulated duct is greater than or equal to the proposed ceiling insulation R-value, less the R-value of the insulation on the duct.
Pursuant to the UCC, delete Section N1103.5.2 without replacement.