Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Delete Section R322.2.1 and replace as follows:
1. Buildings and structures in flood hazard areas shall have the lowest floors elevated to or above the base flood elevation plus 1-1/2 feet (457 mm), or the design flood elevation, whichever is higher.
2. In areas of shallow flooding (AO Zones), buildings and structures shall have the lowest floor (including basement) elevated to a height of not less than the highest adjacent grade as the depth number specified in feet (mm) on the FIRM plus 1-1/2 feet (457 mm), or not less than 3 feet (15 mm) if a depth number is not specified.
3. Basement floors that are below grade on all sides shall be elevated to or above base flood elevation plus 1-1/2 feet (457 mm), or the design flood elevation, whichever is higher.
1. Enclosed areas below the design flood elevation, including basements with floors that are not below grade on all sides, shall meet the requirements of Section R322.2.2.
2. Accessory structures in accordance with Section R-R3188.8.131.52.
1. The structure shall not be designed or used for human habitation, but shall be limited to the parking of vehicles, or to the storage of tools, material, and equipment related to the principal use or activity;
2. The floor area shall not exceed 200 square feet;
3. The structure must have a low damage potential;
4. The structure must be located on the site so as to cause the least obstruction to the flow of flood waters.
5. Power lines, wiring, and outlets must be elevated to the elevation requirements of Section R-R322.2.1;
6. The structure shall not contain permanently affixed utility equipment and appliances such as furnaces, heaters, washers, dryers, etc.;
7. The structure shall not contain sanitary facilities; and
8. The structure shall be adequately anchored to prevent flotation, collapse, and lateral movement and shall be designed to automatically provide for the entry and exit of floodwater for the purpose of equalizing hydrostatic forces on the walls. Designs for meeting this requirement must either be certified by a registered design professional, or meet or exceed the following minimum criteria:
a. a minimum of two openings having a net total area of not less than one (1) square inch for every square foot of enclosed space.
b. the bottom of all openings shall be no higher than one (1) foot above grade.
c. openings may be equipped with screens, louvers, etc. or other coverings or devices provided that they permit the automatic entry and exit of flood waters.