Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Established; Membership: There is hereby established a parks and recreation board, which shall consist of seven (7) persons who may reside within or without the corporate limits of the city.
B. Appointment: The city commission shall appoint to the parks and recreation board seven (7) persons whose terms in office are outlined in subsection C of this section. (2010 Code § 17-1)
C. Term Of Office:
1. Members of the parks and recreation board shall hold office for overlapping terms of three (3) years each, beginning on January 1 annually; provided, that the first members shall be appointed to serve as follows: (2010 Code § 17-1; amd. 2012 Code)
a. One shall be appointed for term of one year;
b. Three (3) shall be appointed for terms of two (2) years;
c. Three (3) shall be appointed for terms of three (3) years.
2. Appointments thereafter shall be made for terms of three (3) years, except vacancies on the board occurring otherwise than by expiration of a term of office shall be filled by appointment by the city commission for the unexpired term of the member or members whose vacancy is being filled.
D. Compensation: The appointed members of the parks and recreation board shall serve without compensation or pay, except that any member of said parks and recreation board who shall incur reasonable expenses at the direction of the city, or in official and sanctioned furtherance of his duties, shall be entitled to reimbursement in full by the city. (2010 Code § 17-1)
E. Powers And Duties: The parks and recreation board shall be an advisory board and shall have the right to consider any matter relating to public parks, playgrounds and other recreational facilities, and to make recommendations thereon to the city and to others as may be appropriate. (2010 Code § 17-2)
F. Officers Elected; Rules And Procedures: Immediately after appointment of the parks and recreation board annually by the city commission, such parks and recreation board shall organize by electing from their members for a term of one year a chairperson, vice chairperson and a secretary, and shall further adopt from time to time such bylaws, rules and regulations, and amendments thereto, as may be necessary to effectuate the purposes of this chapter. (2010 Code § 17-3)
G. Termination Of Membership: If any member of the board shall be absent from more than one-half (1/2) of all the meetings of the board, regular or special, held within any period of six (6) consecutive calendar months, he/she shall thereupon cease to hold office. (2010 Code § 17-4)
H. Money Received For Property Or Services: When any money is received from the sale or lease of any property, the providing of any services or other purpose, it shall be paid over to the city clerk for deposit into the general fund of the city on or before five o'clock (5:00) P.M. of the next working day. Said funds shall be deposited by the city clerk pursuant to 11 Oklahoma Statutes section 17-212. (2010 Code § 17-5)
1. All purchases of supplies, materials, equipment and contracted services for the parks and recreation department shall be made only pursuant to authorization granted by the city commission and subject to its supervision and control.
2. All purchases or contracts shall cause there to be submitted to the city commission a purchase order in quadruplicate at the time the indebtedness is incurred pursuant to 62 Oklahoma Statutes section 310.1(B).
3. All claims for goods or services to the department of parks and recreation must be presented in writing and verified in the manner provided by 11 Oklahoma Statutes section 17-102.
4. The parks and recreation department may issue a blanket purchase order pursuant to 62 Oklahoma Statutes section 310.8 and if approved by the city commission.
5. Neither the parks and recreation board nor any individual member thereof shall have the authority to contract, purchase nor incur obligation on behalf of the city. (2010 Code § 17-6)