Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Authority To Contract; Definitions:
1. The city is hereby authorized and empowered, through the Perkins volunteer fire department, to enter into a contract with the owner or occupant of any property outside the corporate limits of the city for purposes of providing fire prevention and fire eradication services.
2. For the purposes of this section:
FIRE RUN: A response to a fire by the Perkins fire department requiring the use of the department's resources.
PARTICIPANT: A party contracting with the city for fire prevention and fire eradication services outside the corporate limits of the city. (Ord. 391, 3-13-2012)
B. Answering Outside Calls; Exception: When there is imminent peril and danger to life and/or property, the fire department may answer all outside fire calls where there is in effect a current fire contract as provided for in subsection A of this section, or within the department's rural fire district. Otherwise, there exists no duty to answer such calls unless specifically requested by the property owner and unless, in the opinion of the fire chief, it is not inexpedient to do so on account of another fire in the city, broken apparatus, impassable or dangerous highways, or other physical condition. (2010 Code § 1-48.1)
C. Enrollment Fee; Contract Charges:
1. The annual contract rate for residential and agricultural customers shall be as set by resolution of the city commission for each nonattached property. For each fire run, the city shall charge the participant the fees set forth in the fire department fee schedule for apparatus and personnel, the cost of materials used, the cost of any damages incurred, and any other fees as might be assessed pursuant to the participant's contract. The participant shall be subject to a minimum charge of five hundred dollars ($500.00) and a maximum charge of one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500.00) per fire run, to be paid within thirty (30) days of the date of the fire run. (Ord. 391, 3-13-2012; amd. 2012 Code)
2. All commercial properties, including, but not limited to, oil production, manufacturing and schools are eligible to contract under the rural fire protection program. The annual contract rate for commercial customers shall be as set by resolution of the city commission for each property. (Ord. 405, 7-9-2013)
D. Contract Exclusions:
1. Fire runs for controlled burn on properties of origin during red flag alerts and county or state instituted burn bans;
2. Fire runs to properties of origin for prescribed burns by third party entities. (Ord. 391, 3-13-2012)
E. Term Of Contract: The terms of any contract entered into as a result of this section shall be for one year, commencing on July 1 and expiring on June 30 of each year; provided, that any new contracts entered into after April 1 of a given year shall be extended until June 30 of the following year. If payment of the fee as set forth in subsection C of this section is not paid by July 15 of each year, then the contract shall be null and void. (2010 Code § 1-48.4)
F. Fees Without Contract And Payment:
1. Except as otherwise provided by subsection C of this section, the city shall charge a property owner, for each fire run, the fees set forth in the fire department fee schedule for apparatus and personnel, the cost of materials used and the cost of any damages incurred. There shall be a minimum charge of five hundred dollars ($500.00) per fire run with no set maximum. Such charges shall not apply to a walk through or inspection where there is no performance of duty.
2. All charges provided for in this section shall be paid within thirty (30) days of the date of the fire run. (Ord. 391, 3-13-2012)
G. Auto Fires And Extrication Fees: No minimum fee shall apply to auto fires. Auto extrication fees shall be charged, assessed and collected in such amounts as set by the city commission by motion or resolution. "Auto extrication" is defined as those incidents where specialized tools are used to remove a trapped person from a motor vehicle accident. (Ord. 392, 4-10-2012)
H. Additional Charges: Additional fees will apply for any additional equipment or materials needed for vehicle fires or extrication; such as, a second truck needed for transporting and use of additional personnel, material or other resources, excluding a command unit. The fees for additional trucks shall be charged at a rate established by resolution of the city commission. Consumable items such as foam and absorbent materials shall be charged at a rate established by resolution of the city commission of the cost of the material. If fire extinguishers are used, there will be a flat rate established by resolution of the city commission. (Ord. 364, 2-9-2010; amd. 2012 Code)