Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. There is hereby created a position of building-electrical inspector (known as building inspector) in the administration department in the village of Peoria Heights. The duties of code enforcement are to be performed by a sworn officer of the village of Peoria Heights police department, under the authority of the chief of police.
B. The building inspector shall be selected by the village administrator with the advice and consent of the village president. This selection shall be based solely on the basis of qualifications including, but not limited to, specific professional education and actual experience in and knowledge of the duties of the position, as specified in this section. The building inspector shall be classified as an on call, as needed employee of the village of Peoria Heights with a rate and method of compensation to be set by the village president and the board of trustees.
C. The building inspector shall be responsible to the village administrator, village president, and board of trustees for proper implementation of the responsibilities as follows:
1. Inspection of commercial and residential buildings and structures in the course of construction alteration, electrical functioning and repair for compliance with the village's international residential/commercial building codes, national electrical code and zoning ordinance referenced standards to obtain conformance with adopted codes.
2. Reviews submitted building and site plans prior to issuance of a building permit.
3. Communicate with permit applicants, architects, engineers, contractors, the village administrator and the director of public works to ensure substantial compliance with adopted codes and ordinances.
4. Writes permits and permit processing.
5. Conducts inspections to assist other departments such as fire, police, housing, public works, and administration as needed.
6. Available to public for inquiries from individuals regarding international residential/commercial building codes, national electrical codes and zoning ordinance and related items.
7. Performs other related duties as assigned by the village president, village administrator and/or board of trustees.
D. The building inspector shall, in addition to the qualifications in subsection B of this section, have the following qualifications:
1. Necessary knowledge of international residential/commercial buildings codes, national electrical code, and the zoning ordinance of the village of Peoria Heights and other ordinances necessary to enforce compliance with the ordinances and codes relative to building construction, maintenance and repair within the village of Peoria Heights.
2. Knowledge of applicable state, federal and local ordinances, laws, rules and regulations.
3. Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, techniques and all aspects of building construction, electrical wiring maintenance and international residential/commercial building codes, national electrical code and zoning ordinance enforcement. (Ord. 2016-1466, 4-5-2016)