Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The provisions of the R-A District are intended to apply to a sparsely developed area capable of supporting single-family residences at very low densities in conjunction with agricultural, conservation and related activities. Large lot sizes are required to maintain the low density and open space character, prevent unsanitary conditions, and keep the various principal uses in the area at a level of compatible land use intensity.
(B) Permitted principal uses and structures in this district are:
(1) Single-family dwellings;
(2) General agricultural activities such as farming, grove agriculture, truck and flower gardening, commercial nurseries and greenhouses, dairying and similar activities;
(3) Keeping or raising for sale of horses, ponies, cows, provided that the total of all animals shall not exceed one to each half acre of the area in the lot;
(4) Keeping or raising for sale of small domestic animals, birds or fish; and
(5) Clubs and lodges, including golf and country clubs and similar activities.
(C) Permitted accessory uses and structures are:
(1) Home occupations; and
(2) Customary accessory uses of a noncommercial nature clearly incidental and subordinate to one or more of the principal uses.
(D) Permitted conditional uses are:
(1) Sale of products grown or raised on the same lot, providing the following conditions are met:
(a) No structure for the sale of the products shall contain a floor area greater than 200 square feet;
(b) All parking spaces, loading spaces and drives shall be located off the street; and
(c) The area for the display of farm products for sale shall not exceed 200 square feet, exclusive of the area for the permitted structure.
(3) Recreation amusement facilities, exhibitions, outdoor shows and all operations, avocations or businesses operating in tents or temporary buildings or structures, providing the following conditions are met:
(a) The use is not in operation for a period exceeding 30 days;
(b) Adequate sanitary facilities are provided for the anticipated number of people to be served, as determined by an on-site inspection by the Building Official;
(c) All enclosures, displays, structures, tents, equipment and other facilities that will house or be visited by people shall be erected and maintained at all times in a safe, sanitary and sightly condition, as determined by an on-site inspection by the Building Official and Fire Chief; and
(d) All facilities included in a temporary use shall meet the requirements of performance standards.
(4) Commercial radio and television broadcasting transmitters, towers and antennas;
(5) Commercial dog kennels and commercial poultry farms; and
(E) Prohibited uses and structures are:
(1) All uses not specifically or provisionally permitted in this section; and
(2) All uses not in keeping with the agricultural and/or residential character of this district.
(F) Lot and structure requirements are:
Minimum lot area
Minimum lot width
Minimum lot depth
Maximum lot coverage
Minimum living area
1,200 square feet
Minimum yard requirements
Side corner lot
30 feet, 25 feet when abutting an alley
(2000 Code, § 66-271) (Ord. 75-01, passed 7-14-1975; Ord. 99-02, passed 3-23-1999; Ord. 2012-12, passed 11-27-2012) Penalty, see § 157.999