Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) If a lawful use involving individual structures, or of a structure and premises in combination, exists at the effective date of adoption or amendment of this chapter, that would not be allowed in the district under the terms of this chapter, the lawful use may be continued so long as it remains otherwise lawful, subject to the following provisions.
(1) No existing structure devoted to a use not permitted by this chapter in the district in which it is located shall be enlarged, extended, constructed, reconstructed, moved or structurally altered except in changing the use of the structure to a use permitted in the district in which it is located.
(2) Any nonconforming use may be extended throughout any parts of a building that were manifestly arranged or designed for the use at the time of adoption or amendment of this chapter, but no use shall be extended to occupy any land outside the building.
(3) Any structure, or structure and land in combination, in or on which a nonconforming use is superseded by a permitted use shall thereafter conform to the regulations for the district in which the structure is located; and the nonconforming use may not thereafter be resumed.
(4) Where nonconforming use status applies to a structure and premises in combination, removal or destruction of the structure shall eliminate the nonconforming status of the land.
(5) All nonconforming use of structures or of structures and premises in combination, except for residential uses, shall be discontinued; except that for each $500 of its assessed value on the date of issuance of a certificate of nonconforming use, the nonconformity shall be permitted to continue for a period of one year. In no event, however, shall any nonconformity involving a structure be required to discontinue before a period of three years; nor shall any nonconformity be permitted to continue for a period longer than 50 years, regardless of its assessed value.
(B) Nonconformities not involving the use of a principal structure, e.g., open storage, building supplies, vehicle, mobile home, implement and machinery storage, junkyards, commercial animal yards and the like, shall be discontinued within two years of the effective date of this chapter or amendment.
(2000 Code, § 66-146) (Ord. 75-01, passed 7-14-1975) Penalty, see § 157.999