Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In all areas of special flood hazards the following standards are required:
(1) All new construction and substantial improvements shall be anchored to prevent flotation, collapse or lateral movement of the structure resulting from hydrodynamic and hydrostatic loads, including the effects of buoyancy; and
(2) All manufactured homes shall meet the anchoring standards of § 153.44(B).
(B) Construction materials and methods.
(1) All new construction and substantial improvements shall be constructed with materials and utility equipment resistant to flood damage;
(2) All new construction and substantial improvements shall be constructed using methods and practices that minimize flood damage;
(3) All new construction, substantial improvement and other proposed new development shall be constructed with electrical, heating, ventilation, plumbing and air conditioning equipment and other service facilities that are designed and/or located so as to prevent water from entering or accumulating within the components during conditions of flooding; and
(4) Within Zones AH or AO, adequate drainage paths shall be constructed around structures on slopes to guide floodwaters around and away from proposed structures.
(1) Residential construction.
(a) Residential construction, new or substantial improvement shall have the lowest floor, including basement:
1. In an AO Zone, elevated to or above the regulatory flood elevation, or elevated at least two feet above the highest adjacent grade if no depth number is specified;
2. In an A Zone where a BFE has not been determined, elevated to or above the regulatory flood elevation or be elevated in accordance with the criteria developed by the Director of the Arizona Department of Water Resources; or
3. In Zones AE, AH and A1-30, elevated to or above the regulatory flood elevation.
(b) Upon completion of the structure, the elevation of the lowest floor including basement shall be certified by a registered professional engineer or surveyor, and verified by the community’s Building Inspector to be properly elevated. Such certification and verification shall be provided to the Floodplain Administrator.
(2) Nonresidential construction. Nonresidential construction, new or substantial improvement shall be elevated to or above the regulatory flood elevation.
(3) Manufactured homes. Manufactured homes shall meet the standards in § 153.44.
(4) Garages and accessory structures. Attached garages, detached garages, structures and any accessory structure requiring a building permit, new or substantial improvement shall have the lowest floor elevated to or above the regulatory flood elevation.
(Ord. 590-12, passed 6-13-2012; Ord. passed 8-15-2016)