Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The guidance for outdoor uses and equipment and storage is provided by the purpose and intent of the respective industrial zoning categories as follows.
(1) C-M, BRP, and M-L zones.
(a) Outdoor equipment is limited to that which is essential to the principal use and which cannot be reasonably accommodated within the associated structure due to the physical characteristics of the equipment, or prohibited by other applicable regulations.
(b) Permit requirements. Outdoor equipment may be permitted by the review and approval of a DDR permit or permit modification as may be applicable.
(c) Outdoor areas shall be fully screened from view based upon the performance standards identified in section 16-168.
(2) M-1 zone.
(a) Except as maybe permitted by a special use permit, outdoor uses in the M-1 Zone are limited to:
1. Outdoor equipment as described in subsection (A)(1);
2. Storage of materials directly related to the principal industrial use, provided it is screened and secured as provided for herein;
3. Parking of operative commercial vehicles, including automobiles, bearing identification of the associated business; and
4. Outdoor industrial activities, such as the manufacture, processing, or assembly of goods, raw materials, or equipment is not permitted.
(b) Permit requirements. Outdoor equipment and storage as identified above may be permitted by the review and approval of a DDR permit or permit modification as applicable.
(3) M-2 Zone.
(a) Outdoor storage, equipment and assembly, maintenance, processing, and similar activities, may be permitted in the M-2 Zone subject to the following provisions.
(b) Permit requirements. Except where a special use permit is required by section 16-163, the following permits apply to outdoor uses in the M-2 Zone.
1. Incidental outdoor equipment or storage: DDR permit or permit modification as applicable.
2. Active manufacturing, assembly, storage, or processing: DDR permit.
(c) Standards applicable to outdoor uses and equipment.
(1) All outdoor equipment and storage areas shall be screened and secured by walls, fences, and gates. Where incidental outdoor equipment is proposed, the equipment may be painted to match the related structure and protected from damage by means other than walls and gates. Tanks and equipment made of stainless steel and similar material need not be painted.
(2) All storage areas shall be screened by a wall or opaque fence no less than six feet in height at any given point.
(3) All outdoor storage and active industrial activities in the M-2 Zone shall be screened by a wall or opaque fence of no less than eight feet in height at any given point.
(Ord. No. 2958, 2985)