Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose - The purpose of the R-W-1 sub-zone is to provide areas of low-density, single-family dwellings on parcels located in an established neighborhood with close proximity to dedicated inland coastal waterways. The intent of this sub-zone is to protect established single-family water-oriented neighborhoods from land uses of higher density and intensity consistent with the policies of the Oxnard coastal land use plan.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.2.1)
(B) Permitted uses - The following are permitted uses in the R-W-1 sub-zone:
(1) Single-family dwelling placed on a permanent foundation;
(2) Accessory buildings and structures located on the same lot;
(3) Adult day care facilities serving no more than six adults;
(4) Home occupations;
(5) Child care centers serving no more than six children;
(6) Congregate living health facilities of no more than six beds;
(7) Large family day care homes that the planning manager finds to comply with the standards set out in section 16-440;
(8) Residential care facilities for the elderly serving no more than six persons; and
(9) Small residential health or care facilities that conform to city ordinances restricting building heights, setbacks, lot dimensions, placement of signs and other matters applicable to dwellings of the same type in the same zone, and that provide services to no more than six persons, or to no more than eight children in the case of a small family day care home.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.2.2)
(10) Short-term rentals consistent with section 17-53.
(C) Property development standards -
(1) Maximum building height: two stories, not to exceed 28 feet.
(2) Minimum lot area: 4,000 square feet for lots which directly abut a waterway; 6,000 square feet for lots which do not abut a waterway.
(3) Minimum lot width: 40 feet.
(4) Interior yard space: 15% of the lot area, which may include the interior side yard. One interior side yard shall be at least eight feet, but need not exceed 600 square feet.
(5) Front yard setback: 15 feet; minimum of 20 feet to center of garage door for back-out driveways.
(6) Rear yard setback: 12 feet for lots abutting a waterway; 20 feet for lots which do not abut a waterway.
(7) Side yard setback:
(a) Interior side yard: 4 feet. No side yard shall be required on one side of a lot where an eight-foot side yard is provided on the other side.
(b) Street side yard: 5 feet.
(c) Reverse corner side yard: ½ of front yard of abutting lot.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.2.3)
(D) Special requirements -
(1) A mezzanine for attics may be constructed within roof areas, provided that there are no window openings above the attic or mezzanine floor except for openings facing the front property line and within ten feet of the front setback.
(2) No exterior decks are permitted above the height of the second floor.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.2.4)
(E) Applicable provisions - All uses shall be subject to the applicable standards of this chapter, including standards contained in the following sections:
(1) Section 17-5, General requirements;
(2) Article III, Specific Coastal Development and Resource Standards;
(3) Article IV, General Coastal Development and Resource Standards; and
(4) Article V, Administration.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.2.5)
(F) Conditionally permitted use - Congregate Living health facilities of seven to 15 beds are permitted subject to the approval of a coastal development permit pursuant to the provisions of article V (Administration).
(Ord. No. 2034, 2671, 2716, 2970, 2986)