Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose - The purpose of the R-B-1 sub-zone is to provide areas in which the low profile, small scale character of existing single-family beach-oriented neighborhoods may be preserved, to provide reasonable protection to existing low- to moderate-income housing and in which to designate areas of future development for low density residential use. Development within the R-B-1 sub-zone shall be consistent with the policies of the Oxnard coastal land use plan. In particular, development within North Shore at Mandalay Bay shall be consistent with LCP Land Use Plan Policy No. 49.1.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.1)
(B) Permitted uses - The following are permitted uses in the R-B-1 sub-zone:
(1) Single-family dwellings;
(2) Accessory buildings and structures located on the same lot;
(3) Adult day care facilities serving no more than six adults;
(4) Home occupations;
(5) Child care centers serving no more than six children;
(6) Congregate living health facilities of no more than six beds;
(7) Large family day care homes that the planning manager finds to comply with the standards set out in section 16-440;
(8) Residential care facilities for the elderly serving no more than six persons; and
(9) Small residential health or care facilities that conform to city ordinances restricting building heights, setbacks, lot dimensions, placement of signs and other matters applicable to dwellings of the same type in the same zone, and that provide services to no more than six persons, or to no more than eight children in the case of a small family day care home.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.2)
(10) Short-term rentals consistent with section 17-53.
(C) Conditionally permitted uses - The following uses are permitted subject to the approval of a coastal development permit pursuant to the provisions of article V:
(1) Single-family dwellings;
(2) Public utility and municipal facilities; and
(3) Congregate living health facilities of seven to 15 beds.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.3)
(D) Property development standards -
(1) Maximum building height: 2 stories, not to exceed 25 feet.
(2) Minimum lot area: 4,000 square feet.
(3) Maximum lot coverage: 60%.
(4) Minimum distance between structures: 6 feet.
(5) Minimum lot width:
(a) For lots easterly of the first public road: 40 feet.
(b) For lots westerly of the first public road: 35 feet.
(6) Front yard setback:
(a) Defined. Front yards in the R-B-1 zone shall be defined as follows:
(i) For properties located between a public walkway and a 26-foot wide public way or a 60-foot street, the front yard shall be the area between the walkway and the main structure.
(ii) For properties located between a public way or alley and a 50- or 60-foot wide public street, the front yard shall be the area between the public street and the main structure.
(i) For properties located easterly of the first public road paralleling the sea: 15 feet.
(ii) For properties located between the Pacific Ocean and the first public road paralleling the sea and which have a front yard abutting a public beach, park, or similar facility dedicated by easement or in feet: 20 feet. A minimum 10-foot setback shall be required for lots having a remaining length of 110 feet or less.
(7) Rear yard setback: 15 feet.
(8) Side yard setback: five feet.
(9) Accessory buildings: shall observe same setbacks as main structure and shall be separated from main structure by a minimum of six feet.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.4)
(E) Special requirements -
(1) Off-street parking. For those lots which abut a 26-foot wide public way, a nine-foot paved parking strip shall be required along the way for the width of the lot. Fences and walls on side yard property lines within this nine-foot area are permitted provided they do not exceed 42 inches in height and are 50% or more open. Walls and solid fences which do not exceed 18 inches in height may also be located within the subject area.
(2) Fencing in front yard. Fences, walls, or hedges may be permitted in front yards of lots along public walkways, may be of solid construction and may exceed general height requirements, but shall not exceed six feet in height and shall provide a permanent means of access to any adjacent public right-of-way or access easement.
(3) Minimum distance between a garage door and the most parallel rear or front property line shall be 20 feet.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.5)
(F) Applicable provisions - All uses shall be subject to the applicable standards of this chapter, including standards contained in the following sections:
(1) Section 17-5, General requirements;
(2) Article III, Specific Coastal Development and Resource Standards;
(3) Article IV, General Coastal Development and Resource Standards; and
(4) Article V, Administration.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.1.6)
(Ord. No. 2034, 2145, 2169, 2598, 2671, 2716, 2970, 2986)