Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Location criteria -
(1) Bicycle racks shall be located to be highly visible from the street or building entrance where bicyclists approach.
(2) No bicycle rack shall be installed in an isolated location but rather near the main entrance of the building for which they are intended or in a comparably convenient location.
(3) Bicycle racks are intended for use by the general public as well as employees.
(4) Development shall provide safe and convenient access for bicyclists from the external circulation system to on-site buildings or internal streets and bicycle parking areas must be separated from motor vehicle parking areas by at least a curb barrier which would prevent vehicles from damaging bicycles.
(B) Bicycle racks -
(1) Bicycle racks shall be constructed to allow a bicycle to be locked to the rack and to support the bicycle in an upright position when either a “U” type bike lock or a “Cable I Chain” type bike lock is used.
(2) Bicycle racks shall be securely anchored to a supporting surface.
(3) Bicycle racks shall be installed in conformance with the requirements of by the bicycle rack manufacturer and shall be installed in a rectangular space no less than 2½ feet wide by 6 feet long per bicycle, unless a locker or a permanent device to stand the bicycle on end is provided.
(4) Bicycle racks shall be readily visible to pedestrians, and the rack must be at least three feet high, unless the bicycle parking area is surrounded by railing, hedge or chain at least three feet in height.
(5) Bicycle racks shall be installed with adequate space (12 inches minimum) beside the parked bicycle so that a bicyclist will be able to reach and operate the locking mechanism.
(6) Bicycle lockers and racks shall be located near the primary building entrance, but not in the main walkway area.
(C) Surface - A hard-surfaced parking area is required.
(D) Ramp - A ramp, at least two feet wide, shall connect all bicycle parking areas to the nearest roadway in order to provide safe and convenient access from the external circulation system to on-site buildings and internal streets and sidewalks.
(`64 Code, Sec. 36-7.1.18) (Ord. No. 2021, 2334)