Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Accessory structures and accessory buildings shall be allowed in any residential lot zone, notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, provided they comply with the following standards:
(1) The total aggregate floor area of all accessory structures and accessory buildings shall not exceed 15% of the total open area between the residence and adjacent rear property line or 120 square feet, whichever is less.
(2) Minimum setback from any property line: three feet.
(3) Maximum height.
(a) Height shall be measured from the average grade within five feet of the accessory structure or accessory building to the highest point of the accessory structure or accessory building. Accessory structures or accessory buildings with a flat roof shall not exceed a height of eight feet. For accessory buildings with a sloped roof, the height limit may be increased six inches for each additional one-foot increase to the required setbacks, graduated over the length of the structure, not to exceed a height of 12 feet. Accessory structures or accessory buildings set against the residence shall not exceed the height of the adjacent eave or parapet.
(b) Regulation-size sports equipment such as a basketball hoop, volleyball net, etc. which are un-covered and non-moveable and feature no more than two supporting posts shall be exempt from the aforementioned height restriction when a minimum five-foot setback is provided to adjacent property lines, as determined by the planning manager.
(4) Maximum extension of roof eaves: 12 inches.
(5) An accessory structure or accessory building shall not be located in any required front yard.
(6) With the exception of greenhouses featuring translucent glass panels, exterior siding and roofing shall be made of non-reflective materials.
(7) The accessory structure or accessory building is not served by utilities.
(8) The accessory structure or accessory building is not attached to, accessed from, nor blocking openings of any other structure or building.
(9) The accessory structure or accessory building shall not be located so as to block required clearances around equipment, vents, utilities and similar items.
(10) The accessory structure or accessory building meets the criteria set by the California Building Code to be found exempt from permit requirements.
(11) The accessory structure or accessory building shall not be occupied for living or sleeping purposes.
(12) Furniture, plants and similar items shall not be placed on or above any accessory structure or accessory building.
(B) Accessory structures or accessory buildings not meeting the above standards shall be subject to the provisions of this chapter.
(`64 Code, Sec. 34-9.2) (Ord. No. 2132, 2890)