Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The purpose of this division is to authorize the designation of any of the basic zones established by this code as planned development zones by adding the letters “P-D” thereto. The P-D designation is intended to insure the orderly development of land in conformance with the general plan of the city and to permit departures from the restrictions imposed within the basic zones as specified in this chapter where justified by one or more of the following circumstances:
(1) When development is proposed in an area that the general plan has phased for development at a later time;
(2) When development is proposed in an area subject to a redevelopment plan;
(3) When development is proposed adjacent to or near public parks, public buildings or similar areas;
(4) When disparities between adjacent zones require protection of the more restricted zone;
(5) When development is proposed that does not conform to the standards of the basic zone, but offers advantages if properly conditioned to protect nearby uses. Such development includes but is not limited to:
(a) Commercial development near residential development;
(b) Multiple-family development near single-family development;
(c) Research and manufacturing development near commercial or residential development;
(d) When development is proposed near areas of public interest, such as areas of natural beauty, natural resources or historical interest, and public parks, civic centers and monuments;
(e) When development of a planned residential group is proposed.
(B) Another purpose of this division is to ensure that development occurs in substantial conformance with plans or uses in connection with an application for rezoning.
(`64 Code, Sec. 34-107) (Ord. No. 916, 934)